Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

anyone found sand?

was wondering if anyone found, ANY type of sand that will work in the tank. Im hoping someone posts, cuz im afraid im going to have to spend 75-100$ on $%$W#% sand from the LFS if not.

anyhow, is there any sand you bought, and it worked for you, please let me know!

I saw the sticky thread on old castle/yard right sand, and got all happy, but no local HDs carry the stuff.

thanks in advance.

1 Blue tail Damsel(sad that he's goin back too )
1 TR Percula Clown
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimps
2 Emerald crabs(3rd went back to LFS)
10 blue legged hermits
15 astrea snails
bawla47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
zacdl

What type of sand?

I have Aragamax, something like $25 if I remember right. Its supposed to be the best stuff you can get.

If you are meaning LIVE sand, there is some for like $30-35 for like 25lb or so on ebay (Free ship)
Old 05-26-2005, 11:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
well aragamax is just aragnite right?? i went to home depot and tested their sand and at mine, they have 50 lb. bags of it for 5 $. (aragnite) im sure theres something else to make *sand* so expensive.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Auden
The thing about buying sand from HD is that some play sands have high silicate contents, something you don't want in your tank.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:37 AM   #5
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Look for a previous thread in which I posted regarding using granular dolomitic limestone mixed with a bak of live sand from HD. So far - pH is still stable ( which was a concern of some replies).

The dolomitic limestone sold at HD is chemically the same as the dolomitic limestone sold at LFS.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had posted this in the "Sand sticky thread" but you may want to check out www.premiumaquatics.com ... they have CaribSea aragonite sand, 40lb bags for $24.99 not a bad price compared to a LFS or any other internet site.
Use the calculator to determine how much sand you'll need, in my 29gal I went with 40lbs of plain CaribSea aragonite and 15lbs of CaribSea Aragalive. Premiumaquatics.com also has the aragalive for $15.99/20lbs ..... again not a bad price!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Maybe a dumb question:

Should you rinse the HD sand (or any sand bought from a hardware store?) ? And conversely, should I assume that you don't rinse the live sand, so that you don't wash off all the good bacteria?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say yes ... to both!
Washing the sand purchased from HD or whatever hardware store, would wash away any fine particles and dust that may cause problems in your tank!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would say that if the HD sand WAS truly aragonite, I wouldn't rinse it. The fine dust particles are good to have so that you have a wide variety of grain sizes to help with the DSB.

Unless you are using sand with high silicate counts, I wouldn't bother rinsing it too much. I threw my Caribsea Aragamax Oolitic right in. Took a couple days to clear... but now I have crystal clear water and it's like I have a sugar white bottom!
Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your in Florida!!!! beach is only a few hours away. Grab a bucket!!!!
If your worried about price you can go with silica sand for a base and use araganite for the upper portion of the dsb. I did that for a year with no problems. A few downside to it are that sand sifter don't like the sharpness of the silica and the color difference.

Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com