Anyone had a bad batch of salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I do is use a different salt each time I go to the lfs. My theory is, what one salt lacks, another makes up for. If something stings me, like the Fluval did, I am reluctant to try it again.
As far as setting someone up for failure....they mix this stuff in giant vats and bucket it up and ship it out. They don't have to worry about the FDA coming to inspect...as a matter of fact, does anyone come and inspect this industry?
I don't think you do things purposely, but I do think there is a lack of quality control.

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant... I was saying, that if I felt as though I had a bad batch, I would not sell it on craigslist to someone else. I would contact the seller, or manufacturer, and if I got nowhere, I would consider it a learning experience and cut my losses and discard of it...

FWIW I have no batch number on mine either..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Roger that. Me too... Are you going to slowly PWC with the new salt or go big?

Depends how much free time I have this weekend :)

You?

Depends how much free time I have this weekend :)

You?

Ehhhh the gut is telling me to go big. I'm making 20 gallons of RODI right now. I'll probably do all 20 on Sunday... That would be 50%.

My tank is only a 20, with 15 gallons of water (rock, sand, etc take up the rest). I usually do 3 gallons a week (20%). If I can get to the LFS and pick up IO, I will do a couple of 5 gallon changes tomorrow and Sunday.

I ended up with a bad batch of IO. Had A LOT of ammonia in it. Luckily I was still cycling the tank.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ended up with a bad batch of IO. Had A LOT of ammonia in it. Luckily I was still cycling the tank.

Woah, that's not good at all. Guess we just have to be careful as any salt we buy could turn out to be a bad batch.

I picked up some Reef Crystals at the LFS...making more RODI now and will do a 9 gallon change later. That's 60%...

Sadly my LFS doesn't have the Hanna Checker PO4.

I have some no name brand of salt i am using until i get some fish, or until i run out of that stuff :p , but i also have a box of reef crystals too, :D, it was 75% of a Big Als sooooo...(y)

I felt pretty strongly that I had a bad batch of Red Sea CP at one point. My alkalinity numbers were all out of whack, and a new bucket of salt was the only differing factor. Someone suggested that I need to roll new buckets around to try and mix new containers of salt after shipping... I don't know that it actually matters or works, but I have done that each time I get a new bucket now, and the problem has never repeated.

There's definitely some settling going on during shipping. Larger particles making their way to the top of the bucket could throw things out of whack.

I just started the mix of the Reef Crystals and one thing I notice is that it clears up much quicker than the RSCP did, even in a large volume.

Also, RedSea seems to have quality issues, or maybe people who pay for their salt are just more vocal:
Coral Pro Salt cloudy - Reef Central Online Community

Lots of folks complaining that the mix doesn't clear up, etc. I had a cloudy batch and had to toss it a few weeks back. Supposedly, they changed the formula in the Coral Pro and the headaches started then.

Back
Top Bottom