Anyone had a bad batch of salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think mine was a bad batch, either...though I'm not 100% certain yet. Good to hear things are moving along.

I don't think mine was a bad batch, either...though I'm not 100% certain yet. Good to hear things are moving along.

Thanks. I was doing some more research on brown algaes and I'm REALLY hoping it's not dino. It appeared to be mat like when I siphoned the top of my sand bed. I know it's a touchy subject but it seemed like it was suffocating my sand bed, I needed it gone. I'll just keep up with it every week.

I was considering getting a small blenny, but then I'd be way overstocked (I consider 1 too many fish "way overstocked").

Funny thing is, my wife is actually looking at this as a reason to move to a 100+ setup sooner rather than later. I told her that the water is pristine, I just need to get the gunk out and it'll stay out. My rocks have stayed clean, which is encouraging, and my zoas are taking off.

Whelp came home and my hammer is definitely recovering, duncan looks great, frogspawn is really open, and my zoas/palys are still closed but showing a bit more color than recently. I think my plan of attack is 1 more 40% change this weekend, and then will reassess the situation after the corals settle in again...

Good luck!

As far as my fluval goes, I'm up to 3 1/2 cups of salt for 5 gallons! The bucket is almost done and I'm going with reef crystals next.

Either way, at the end of your bucket you might a well switch salt. I do it at the end of every bucket and whatever is on sale at drfostersandsmiths...since you can only get fluval and IO near me. So far really liked kent and Red Sea pro, with Red Sea being the best. 2 cups for a 5 gallon water change and mixes smooth. Though, in your same issue area Isis have a cyano outbreak. Do t believe it was salt just me working too much and tank care going down.

Yeah, I think I'm going to cycle salts from now on. Next 3 are definitely reef crystals, Red Sea, and kent.

So a little update:

Still completely baffled as to what happened to my tank, and no clue as to what caused the crash. I lost some stuff, and it was frustrating. However, the show just go on as they say, and I feel my tank is making a good turnaround.

I've added a crossbred dottyback, a Pygmy angel, seahare, and 2 peppermint shrimp the past few weeks, everyone seems happy and eating like little piggies. I began to add Phytoplankton into the feeding regimen, as well as a new product called Phycopure by Algagen. This supposedly will help corals recover from things like crashed tanks. I will keep updates on it's effectiveness.

My duncan coral looks like it wasn't even affected by the crash. My hammer coral is extended, however slightly bleached. Same with my frogspawn. The branching hammer still won't open up fully but has regained color. My zoas and palys are still closed for the most part. I'm beginning to think the damage to them is irreparable. I intend on adding a couple more paly frags to see if they thrive, and if so I will know that my others are gone sadly...

Will update in a few days... Any comments, suggestions, questions? Thanks...

Just opened photobucket acct and wanted to see if it works... Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom