Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2003, 04:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone have a 29 gallon reef?

If so, where do you have your powerheads positioned? What works best for you? Reason is I'm curious, we have 2 oscilating powerheads with sponges that we plan on replacing tonight, but I'd like to get a general idea of where everyone has found is best to position them, I have seen some high, some low, some on the sides, some on the back.

Love to hear what kind and where they are and what works best for them, even if you have something close to a 29 would love to hear what works for you.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hmmm, I don't have a 29..I have a 20L (same length, but shorter). I have 2 PH's both on the left side of the tank, one in the back about mid level in the tank blowing behing the rocks. This PH has a diffuser on it to spread the flow out over a wider area, this is set so it spreads the flow from top to bottom, rather than side to side. My other PH is in the front about 3" from the top this has no diffuser and blows across the front of the tank. Both PH's are run by a wavemaker that makes them coe on and off for varying times in a random order. I also have a rHOB refugium with an overflow box (run with a RIO 1400...choked down a bit) the return for the fuge is in the center of the tank angled to the front of the tank and slightly to the right. My skimmer is a HOB which is on the same side of the tank as the PH's the return for this is pointed the same as the fuge, bot are at the surface of the water. So in all my water flow is from left to right (the overflow is on the right), although the PHs are strong enough that it hits the other side of the aquarium and comes back around.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
That's pretty much the same way I have them in my 10g. One low, right blowing behind the rock. One high, right blowing across the front of the tank. Fuge return is in the center with a slight up angle so it churns the surface a little. I don't have a wavemaker yet, but very little settles in the tank. I have to hand feed the serpent a piece of krill once in a while because there is so little to settle to the bottom where he can get to it.
Logan J
Old 02-13-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
In a 29 there shouldn't be a problem with placing 2 power heads. Almost anywhere will blow the water all over the place. I have a HOT skimmer and a whisper (w/o media) plus a small power head in my 29. Tons of flow.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool, we are going to get two new power heads tonight and position them like you have I think that will work for us, plus we think we found a guy over here that will get us a refugium hang on for 39 bucks, the guy's english isn't real good over the phone so my husband's gonna stop by on the way home and see if it's a CPR, crossing my fingers it is!!! Thanks guys for all the help!!
Old 02-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

A little PH advice. Buy MaxiJets. They're, IMO, the best there is.
Logan J
Old 02-14-2003, 12:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

We prepaid for the refugium it's supposed to be a CPR HOB refugium, we'll see or it's not gonna be a pretty site, but my husband showed him a pic of it off the net, the guy said yeah that's it, $39 and it will be here tomorrow. Curious, put new sand in it or sand from our tank? Was thinking of getting Rio pump/power head, the penguins scare me, infact anything with a hang down thingie on it scares me, our snails are always over the pump for the skimmer and no problems.

Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2003, 01:16 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
just a note, rio's are notorious for going out. I never have owned one that didnt burn up. what are the dimentions of this fuge? is this available to the public?
Old 02-14-2003, 01:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great, our skimmer has a RIO 600, the fuge is a CPR Hang on Back Refugium, it normally sells online for 89.99 or higher, it's the 12"x 4" x 12", the LFS guy says yes that's the one and it's 39.95 plus tax of course, we'll see if it is that what it is, I'm hoping so. So is there any that are like or look like the RIO's but last and suck the wallet dry? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2003, 11:31 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I'm thinking that a Maxi Jet 900 is about the same (maybe a little more) flow as a Rio 600. If if remember right, the Rio is rated @ 200gph. You can also get a venturi for the Maxi Jet to mix the air in for the skimmer. I'd run the Rio till it died, but if I was buying new PH's, I'd go with the Maxi Jets with Hagen being the second choice.
Logan J

Tags
29 gallon, 29 gallon reef, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com