anyone have a dedicated clam tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmh2536

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been thinking of using my old 40 gallon tank and making it a clam tank. I have a 400 watt ballast that I would use to light the tank and a aquac remora skimmer for filtration. My question is though, I dont want to buy a bunch of live rock for the tank, so is there a good filter that would be a good substitute for LR for biological filtration. And if anyone has any expierience with clam-only tanks, I would be appreciative any advice.

Simply use a DSB and have a very light fish load. The clams themselves will metabolize some of the ammonia, using it as a food source, and the DSB should be able to handle the rest. For my taste...I would add a couple or three large to medium pieces of LR to place some of the clams on so they all aren't sitting in the sand, kinda give it some perspective.

another question...i'm pretty sure that clams take in alot of calcium...so what do you think would be the best way to add calcium to the tank without spending a fortune(im on a tight budget)

heres my last question......i've seen alot of sands on the market and really dont know which one is best...what would you reccomend?

If you can find it, go with Southdown Tropical Playsand, it is also marketed under the name Old Castle. Look at Home Depot.

For reference you might also want to pickup the book "Giant Clams". I read it and found it a wonderful reference for these wonderful creatures.

Back
Top Bottom