Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-19-2005, 08:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
anyone have a non aggressive damsel?

Just curious, i too made the mistake of purchasing a damsel, but after cycling the tank actually. I had him for about 1 month ina dif smaller tank, then moved him to my new 55 gallon for another another month with just a few decorations in there, and then i added liverock. Hes been in the tank with my clownfish for 2-3 weeks now. 3 months before that solo So far tho, they look like they really get along, no signs of aggresion. Im guessing its jsut gonna be a matter of time till he gets moody, but was wondering if anyone had one that didn tbother your fish.

my clownfish and damsel actually swim together most of the day looking for food, and get as close as graze by eachother sometimes, but not aggressively. so far there buddys.

anyhow, thanks for your time!
jay D

55 gallon Reef now woohoo, slowly but surely
Hurricane 150 wet/dry,AquaC Urchin skimmer, 50 lbs LR, 10 lbs in sump, Odyssea 260 Watts CF

1 Blue tail Damsel(sad that he's goin back too )
1 TR Percula Clown
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimps
2 Emerald crabs(3rd went back to LFS)
10 blue legged hermits
15 astrea snails
bawla47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
Damsels are aggressive by nature, although there are exeptions to everything most damsels are going to be aggressive. If I were you I would take it back and get something else.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Brodie
As Damsels mature, they become more aggressive. Start trying to get it out now before it becomes a problem.
Be ocean minded, keep our beaches clean.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I have marginated damsels that do just great in my big tank....get along with everything. Of course, it is a big enough tank where it does not feel the space constraint. I also have a yellow tailed blue damsel in my 40 with a pair of clowns and an engineer goby..once again, no troubles. Mine might very well be the exception to the rule, but they do fine. I wouldnt worry about taking yours back until it actually becomes a problem, unless you just don't like the fish.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to Kam
One of my yellow tail damsels attacks me when I clean the tank. I'd say that's fairly agressive for a 1.5" fish.
55 Gal FOWLR
105 lbs Live rock from LR.com
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
2 Green Chromis
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
1 Large Turbo Snail
Hitchhickers: 3 Purple sea urchins, lots of rock crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, snails, worms, etc.
and aiptasia, aiptasia, aiptasia (it was free $$)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
All of mine are aggressive, but to varying degrees. The humbug ( 4 -stripe) in my most aggressive.
You know you are a true fish-o-holic if you can field strip any powerhead on the market.
JG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Seems their aggressive nature increases the greater the population of the tank. They also seem to have a heirarchy of aggressiveness when you have more than one type of damsel. The yellow I had was the piss-ant that had to be removed as he was beating up everyone -- then the yellow tail followed shortly by the domino -- next will be the zebra, and hopefully -- eventually -- the blue devil (who is for the most part a peaceful creature except when feeding). They're monsters, grabbing food even if they're full just to keep it away from another fish.

Chromis are a type of damsel, but they're the total opposite of the spectrum -- too shy and boring but look pretty in small schools of shimmering green.

schoeplein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 3 stripe damsel that is the most skiddish fish I have ever seen. He doesn't even ever come out from behind the rocks.... I guess it is because he was with a Black clown that tried to eat him any time he got to close.......

He's in my new tank all by himself right now, soon I'll be combining my 20 and 72 gallons and He'll have a new tank mate..... A SUPER aggressive Gold stipe maroon clown.......... I'm really not to worried about him getting out of line when He's with a fish that killed two bubble corals because he didn't like how I arranged the tank...... I think every fish is different as far as aggressiveness goes.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a domino and a yellow tail damsel. The domino is very aggressive, chases my yellow tail all the time, and from time to time he will chase the clown. The yellow tail seems to always be hiding. I am taking the domino back to the lfs before I get anything else. I'm hoping the yellow tail will come out and play more once the domino is gone because I like his colors, but if he becomes aggressive, back to the lfs with him too.
I'm not addicted... I can quit when ever I want...Wait...I'll just LOOK at the fish.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
i had like 8 damsels in my 150 after the main cycle was done, i threw them in just a few weeks. my blue devil damsel killed all 3 of my dominos, then went after another yellow tail. i stuck The Trap in there and caught all of them within a few days.

SirLight1337 is offline   Reply With Quote

aggressive, damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com