anyone have a non aggressive damsel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawla47

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just curious, i too made the mistake of purchasing a damsel, but after cycling the tank actually. I had him for about 1 month ina dif smaller tank, then moved him to my new 55 gallon for another another month with just a few decorations in there, and then i added liverock. Hes been in the tank with my clownfish for 2-3 weeks now. 3 months before that solo So far tho, they look like they really get along, no signs of aggresion. Im guessing its jsut gonna be a matter of time till he gets moody, but was wondering if anyone had one that didn tbother your fish.

my clownfish and damsel actually swim together most of the day looking for food, and get as close as graze by eachother sometimes, but not aggressively. so far there buddys.

anyhow, thanks for your time!
jay D

Damsels are aggressive by nature, although there are exeptions to everything most damsels are going to be aggressive. If I were you I would take it back and get something else.

I have marginated damsels that do just great in my big tank....get along with everything. Of course, it is a big enough tank where it does not feel the space constraint. I also have a yellow tailed blue damsel in my 40 with a pair of clowns and an engineer goby..once again, no troubles. Mine might very well be the exception to the rule, but they do fine. I wouldnt worry about taking yours back until it actually becomes a problem, unless you just don't like the fish.

One of my yellow tail damsels attacks me when I clean the tank. I'd say that's fairly agressive for a 1.5" fish.

All of mine are aggressive, but to varying degrees. The humbug ( 4 -stripe) in my most aggressive.

Seems their aggressive nature increases the greater the population of the tank. They also seem to have a heirarchy of aggressiveness when you have more than one type of damsel. The yellow I had was the piss-ant that had to be removed as he was beating up everyone -- then the yellow tail followed shortly by the domino -- next will be the zebra, and hopefully -- eventually -- the blue devil (who is for the most part a peaceful creature except when feeding). They're monsters, grabbing food even if they're full just to keep it away from another fish.

Chromis are a type of damsel, but they're the total opposite of the spectrum -- too shy and boring but look pretty in small schools of shimmering green.

:evil:

I have a 3 stripe damsel that is the most skiddish fish I have ever seen. He doesn't even ever come out from behind the rocks.... I guess it is because he was with a Black clown that tried to eat him any time he got to close.......

He's in my new tank all by himself right now, soon I'll be combining my 20 and 72 gallons and He'll have a new tank mate..... A SUPER aggressive Gold stipe maroon clown.......... I'm really not to worried about him getting out of line when He's with a fish that killed two bubble corals because he didn't like how I arranged the tank...... I think every fish is different as far as aggressiveness goes.

I have a domino and a yellow tail damsel. The domino is very aggressive, chases my yellow tail all the time, and from time to time he will chase the clown. The yellow tail seems to always be hiding. I am taking the domino back to the lfs before I get anything else. I'm hoping the yellow tail will come out and play more once the domino is gone because I like his colors, but if he becomes aggressive, back to the lfs with him too.

i had like 8 damsels in my 150 after the main cycle was done, i threw them in just a few weeks. my blue devil damsel killed all 3 of my dominos, then went after another yellow tail. i stuck The Trap in there and caught all of them within a few days.

the yellow tail adn blues are suppoed to be the lesser aggressive one....all the black ones are mean lil guys....reminds me of african ciclids

I have had a yellow tail damsel in my tank for 7 months now and he has never shown any aggression towards my other fish. He even plays around with one of my clowns.

I was told time and time again to rid of my blue devil damsel before I put in my black ocellaris. I didn't and still he's been no trouble to anyone. In fact, the clownfish is the real jerk. He won't attack other fish but I can't stick my hand in there without suffering an immediate full frontal assault. That's not to say I discredit the advice I received, but weird things like this happen and I don't think you should get rid of a fish you like just because there is the potential that it will be aggressive.

IME...yellow tails are less aggressive than other kinds of damsals. I had some of those 3 stripe damsals, and they were very aggressive. THey would attack my hand always. They eventually killed off the yellowtails too.

Here is the king of damsels. This 4 stipe is almost 4 inches long. The only reason he is still there because he`s not that aggressive.

Attachments

• fish_002_800.jpg
    fish_002_800.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 118
Back
Top Bottom