Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufferowners
What filter do you suggest? I was thinking a Penguin 400 Biowheel. Would that be a good choice or no?
Any mechanical filtration will help filter organics but they must be cleaned quite regularly or they will only add to the problem.

Quote:
How about protien skimmers? What ones the best one for under $50.
No such thing. For a tank that size with a heavy bioload, I would go with no less than an Aqua C Remora Pro and a MAG350 pump. Unless of course you have a sump, then I would use either an ASM or Euroreef.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-26-2006, 11:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
How much do those run? I dont even know really what a sump is or how to set it up. Is it easier?

Old 01-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #13
steve-s

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...ex.asp?CartId=

http://melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-29-2006, 02:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

With skimmers, you get what you pay for. Any financial "short cut" on your skimmer will and you up in a situation where your skimmer will cut you short of ideal.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Well I got everything set up in my 50 gallon all I need is the skimmer, the LR and the light. I built a cover for it out of plexglass, I dont know how good it will work but its something. I will make a post about it when I am done. So far I have the tank set up with a Biowheel 350, and a 300watt all glass aquarium heater, Oh and a digital thermomoter. For my substrate I got Bio-Active live Aragonite reef sand. It suposidly already has the cycle done and the bacteria in it. But Once I put the LR in and get some byrospyra (sp) The LFS that I found said that with that stuff the cycle process should be about 2 weeks. I am happy about that.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Careful of the biowheel. I've heard of some stories about that. I think you end up washing that every week or something. Maybe not every week, but, you will have to watch out for it most likely.

Good luck and definitely welcome to the hobby!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:28 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

It says on the directions do not ever clean the biowheels they should be replaced every couple months or so but discoloration and basicly it says they are supost to be dirty... Thats just what it says right on them. Now the filter on them it says to change every 2-3 weeks, but not the wheel itself.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The water hits the bio-wheel after it passes through the filter in the 350. You should never have to clean or replace your bio-wheel at any time if you keep up maintenance on your canister filter. I haven’t touched mine in over 8 years and it’s worked perfectly without building up any gunk. If you do get excessive gunk built up to the point that it doesn’t spin properly then you can take it off and shake it back and forth in the bucket of SW after you do a pwc. Never rinse it in FW or tap water. Also don’t let the canister filter become too clogged to the point where it doesn’t put out enough water to turn the wheel since the bacteria can dry out in less than a day.

If you replace it “every couple of months” then you will start a new cycle each time because you basically removed your bio-filtration. I would never replace a bio-wheel unless you have enough lr to support your bio-filtration or had it on a QT and used copper-based medicine.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I dont have a canister filter though. I am just using the biowheel...
Old 01-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I thought it was hooked up to the Magnum 350 Pro. I didn’t realize Marineland made a BIO-Wheel 350 hang on back unit. The water still goes through a filter before hitting the wheel so cleaning it should be minimal regardless.

Sorry for the confusion.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puffer, pufferfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com