Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Anyone have a pufferfish?

Just trying to get some info on our new addition. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to IworkatPSP
What kind of puffer? There are too many with different habits and feeding reqs to generalize.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Its a Porqupine Puffer.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Even the 75 gal will probably be too small for a Porcupine Puffer at full adult size of 18”. I have no clue why someone just starting out would want such a large fish but below are some more links on your fish.
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/mari.../porcupine.php
http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/...h-puffers.html
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/puffcareinfo.htm
Old 01-23-2006, 05:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well We got a 55 gallon for 30 bucks plus the stand so thats what he is going in. The sign said 20 inches lol. Thanks for the info though.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok they told us not to feed him ONLY goldfish cause it will shorten his life span and make a hole in his head.... something about the protien in goldfish. Anyway back to the point, we bought some squid cubes and he like gets them in his mouth tears them up and spits them out like "what is this crap I want goldfish" lol. Any suggestions? I am going to go buy some dead fish tomorrow and see if he will eat that. Also is it safe to buy say those little shrimp from the grocery store to feed him? Or anything else? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
steve-s

The puffer probabley isn't spitting out the squid because it doesn't like them. rather the portion sizes fed are too large. Cut the squid into smaller pieces and feed the puffer a little at a time. Vary the food types as well, in shell shrimp, clam meat, scallop and mussels. Be sure not to feed live/fresh though. Freeze anything you purchase for a few weeks to kill any parasite possibilities. Feed animals in the shell as well to help keep the teeth filed down so they do not overgrow the mouth.

RE: goldfish, it's not that you should feed them only goldfish, it's really that you should never feed them goldfish. It will lead to a host of internal ailments and poor health.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

That sucks, Thats one of the biggest reasons I got it cause it eats goldfish lol.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, put it this way, if the fish you are feeding the puffer doesn't exist in its natural environment, it's probably not a good idea to introduce them to the puffer.

55G is tiny for the puffer. You'll see. That cute little puffer will become a gargantuan puffer in a matter of months. By that time, you'll probably be too attached to donate it (in case you have no time or what not to upgrade to 180G). I am just speaking out of experience, by the way. But I did have to donate the cute one to the LFS. I still see it in the LFS whenever I visit which is almost every week.

Hope you have excellent filtration because eventually they will poop amazingly sized feces all over your tank.

When you said the biggest reason you got the puffer is because it eats gold fish, I hope you are kidding. There must be a bigger, more important reason than that.

Good luck.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks cool. lol anyway, What filter do you suggest? I was thinking a Penguin 400 Biowheel. Would that be a good choice or no? How about protien skimmers? What ones the best one for under $50.

Tags
puffer, pufferfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com