Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Anyone have a yellow finger gorgoinian?

Mines about 2 weeks old and I've seen the white feeding polyps twice. It looks as healty as teh day I got it but I'm worried its gonna starve. I tried a suggested feeding method where you place it in a container and add the food, didn't work.

Any tips on feeding methods or food? LFS recomended coral frenzy so this is what I've been feeding the tank with. I've also tried cyclopeze with no success.

Thanks....

Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You won't be able to sustain that coral long term. It will die unfortunately. Non photosynthetic gorgonians are not an easy coral to keep. You'll spoil your water quality before you keep it happy IMO/IME.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

by spoiling do you mean the nitrates going up due to the feeding? I've already noticed that. Shame, I really like this coral.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yeap. Exactly. If you like gorgonians, i would recommend the photosynthetic ones. They aren't as colorful, but they live.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Yep, I only know of one person who's been able to keep these successfully long term and his aquarium was an amazing collection of very fast moving microfauna and microflora filled water full of nonphotosynthetic corals. While it was a amazing set-up, its not something that I think will likely be duplicated by the average reefer.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com