Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone Have an Aquarium In An Apartment?

My mom wants a 75 gallon aquarium in her apartment. She has a 55 gallon now. It was built at least 50 years ago. I'm wondering would her floor hold that size tank if it was on a full stand. Everyone says put it on a load bearing wall. What is that? She is scared it will crash thru the floor. She is on the 3rd floor.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownRomeo View Post
My mom wants a 75 gallon aquarium in her apartment. She has a 55 gallon now. It was built at least 50 years ago. I'm wondering would her floor hold that size tank if it was on a full stand. Everyone says put it on a load bearing wall. What is that? She is scared it will crash thru the floor. She is on the 3rd floor.
A load bearing wall would be like an outside wall. And yes ive had aquariums on many apts and houses. There is not much weight difference between 55 and 75g. The floor will be fine. Ive had a 120g on a second floor of a 120 year old house. Wood floors hold more than you think perfectly safely. Ive had everything up to and including 180g on normal floors with no extra support needed. If you use general common sense on where u place it then youll be fine. As long as the floors are solid and not rotted. If they are squishy or bouncy when u jump a bit then id find a better floor just to be safe. Also of you can place the tank over as many floor joists as possible, for a 75g this probably means 3. Sit the tank cross ways over the joists. This matters probably more than anything.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm currently on the 2nd floor of an apartment and house a 90G w a 30G sump and also a 29G tank all in the same room. Before the 90G, I had a 180G in there. Never had any problems whatsoever. And the apartment I'm in is like 60-70yrs old, floors are uneven and everything lol and yes if you can, put the tank on a load bearing wall.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I had a 125 with a 75 sump in a second floor apartment for about a year.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 20, 35 and 55gal on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex. All on outside walls. As long as its against a wall preferably an outside wall it will be fine.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe a little off topic, but make sure the complex is okay with her having an aquarium. Many are not, or have size restrictions. I'd also be sure to have renters insurance too, just in case something happens. Even if it was okay to have it, if it broke or emptied, they would probably go after her for damages as it would not be viewed that same as one of their pipes breaking (or something similar).
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Maybe a little off topic, but make sure the complex is okay with her having an aquarium. Many are not, or have size restrictions. I'd also be sure to have renters insurance too, just in case something happens. Even if it was okay to have it, if it broke or emptied, they would probably go after her for damages as it would not be viewed that same as one of their pipes breaking (or something similar).
I agree completely.

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com