Anyone have any experience with these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louherz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted a question about MH lighting last week and Bound_for_OBX sent me this site. All looks good to me, but I am very inexperienced. I would like your opinion on if this would be a good purchase. I have a 36" power compact now and was thinking about going for MH, but the price was pretty steep. Here is the site. http://aquarium.union.rpi.edu/articles/DIY_MH.html

Thanks, Louis

Looks good to me, but I am still a newb at this stuff. Better wait for a more experienced answer, if these are for real...man did I over pay!!!

Rich

It will work fine. Just make sure that even though the mv ballast will make it look bluer to the human eye, it's still damn yellow. This is easily offset with plenty of actinic lighting though and the iwasakis are noted for their high PAR value and growth rates in stoney corals.

Take a look at the coralvue retro kits. They come with an electronic ballast, reflector and bulb for $199

sometimes ebay is decent. I am going the MH route but I decided to get electronic ballasts since they can run more bulbs and are quieter.

Back
Top Bottom