Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to smokiums
I have about 110 gallon of water between my main tank and fuge. Between the two, I have about 110 gallons of water.

The return area of the fuge is about 4inchs wide, 12 inches deep, and 12 inches high. It was about 2 inches wide, but I decided to add the additional divider between the fuge and return. I also branched the return going back up to the tank with another valve which I flow back into the return part of the fuge. So, not all the return water that the pump is sucking is going back up to the tank, some of it gets dropped back into the return for additional water. I can re-plumb the exhaust valve to go back the beginning of the fuge if I want, but that's the same as what I am already doing.

btw...the layout is now available.

Old 11-19-2003, 04:38 PM   #12
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Okay just to clarify in my mind. Your main tank has an overflow box?
That main tank overflow output is sent to your fuge?
Your main pump's inlet is conencted to the output on the fuge?
The main pump return is split between a return to the main tank and a return to the fuge?

Some Questions. (When the pump is running):
the return area of the fuge where the inlet for the pump is connected, what is the water level?
Is the water going to the pump swirling down the inlet to the pump?
Do you see any eddys of water being sucked down?

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

1. I have to use the split most of the time to keep the water level high, but I keep it at about 4-5 inches.

2. The water falls from the fuge into a small divided area and flows under that wall into the return area. You can probably see it better on the diagram.

3. The bulkhead has a 90deg elbow pointing downwards in the return area with a foam around it. The foam, so that bubbles don't go main tank.

I hope this all makes sense.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:20 PM   #14
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Couple of things, I would take the foam away for starters. Nothing should obstruct the inlet to the pump. That could also be contributing to air bubbles. Secondly, how much water is in the return from the top of the 90 deg. bulkhead to the surface of the water?

Me
Old 11-19-2003, 05:29 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have this pump and i must first applogize as I have not read all the posts in this thread like i normally do.

What i had to do to remove the microbubbles from the pump was put a hard plastic pvc connection between the sump and the pump and make sure nothing was restricting the flow between the sump and the pumps impeller. THe microbubbles I was getting was as a result of cavatation of the impeller.

My first setup used a clear plastic tube and the suction from the pump basictly clamped the tube down to where it was restricting flow to much between the sump and the impeller.

I also have to keep my water level approx 4" above the sump bulkhead else the pump will create a minicyclone pulling in air from the sump.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:35 AM   #16
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is what I am thinking is causing the problem. This is a pretty powerful pump and as you noted, if the water level is not high enough, it will create air funnels. I use clear tubing and I think that with the 1" tubing there should not be a problem unless the run is too long. Hope this all helps "Smokiums." 8)

Me
Old 11-20-2003, 09:47 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Man, you guys are awesome.

Well, last night I received my order of aqualcultured liverocks from LIVEROCK.COM, which was wonderful. Lots of live, probably over 7 live crabs, a couple of snail and ofcourse, a couple of bad straggler...mantis shrimps. Thank God I layed everything out of the floor before loading into my tank. During that installation and friend of mine came over and we started playing the return valve and exhaust valve to see if we could solve the problem that way. It worked. We reduce the water flow going back to the tank just a hair and opened the exhaust up a bit, just enough to keep about 4inches of water above the bulkhead. This morning, NO MICROBUBBLES. I'm so happy. I can finally enjoy my tank without watching it snow inside my tank. For right now, I'm going to leave the tank as is, but in the very near future, I'm going to do what fishfreek suggested.

Thanks for all the help guy. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:04 AM   #18
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome, glad we were able to figure it out. Remember to factor in evaporation loss, unless you have a top off system. So leave enough "head" water so that you do not start pulling air again if you do not have a chance to top off. What I did is put a mark on my sump where the water head should be that will give me at least a couple of days of no bubbles. As soon as I get my top off unit, this will cease to be a problem (thank heavens), as I lose about 1G a day of water. I think this is also because I had to install two cooling fans in the canopy to help pull off the heat output from my VHOs. Anyway I am happy that we were able to identify the problem.

Me

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com