Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2003, 09:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to smokiums
Anyone have experience with a Little Giant 4MDQX-SC

I'm having a problem. I believe my pump is sucking large amount of micro bubble into my tank and I think the leak is coming from the connection between the pump and the bulkhead. What I'm trying to find out is if any out there has a similiar set up. I have the little giant 4 connecting to a 1inch bulkhead. The problem is that I couldn't find the proper adapter to screw into the pump and screw onto the bulkhead. They both have different threads.

If anyone out there found the correct adapter, please let me know. Or if you have the same problem and solved it, please help me.

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:08 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
If I remember correctly, and it happens sometimes, the MDQX4 has 1" female inlet and a 1" male outlet. If your bulkhead is threaded on the inside, as most are, you'll need the following PVC fittings to make the connection starting at the bulkhead. 1" male adapter-piece of 1" pipe-1" valve (optional)-piece of 1" pipe-1" union-1" male adapter. I'm guessing what you meant when you said the threads were different is that both the bulkhead and the pump are female? You'll want to use teflon plumbers tape on all threaded connections. Be sure you wrap the tape in the direction that the fitting turns when you tighten it or it will strip all the tape off. Screw the 1" male adapter into the bulkhead. Glue in the short piece of pipe. Glue the valve on. Glue in another short piece of pipe and glue the union to it. The valve is optional, but it allows you to quickly remove the pump without draining the sump if you need to. Another short piece of pipe coming out of the union and the other 1" male adapter on the end of it. Take the union apart and, after applying the teflon tape, screw the male adapter into the pump. Put the union back together and you're good to go. Both the pump and the bulkhead should be 1" NPT (National Pipe Thread). HTH.

Old 11-19-2003, 12:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Logan, thanks for taking the time out to write this awesome email, however, the threads are a little different. The pump side is a female inlet and the bulkhead side is male inlet. The problem is that there both different threads. The bulkhead has very thin threads and the pump side threads are spread out more.

How about using plastic tubing?
Old 11-19-2003, 12:37 PM   #4
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
I have this pump with my set-up and have no problem with the threads on the fittings, they are NPT standard. If the bulkhead threads are a different pitch, then that must be a non-standard fitting. However, on the issue of microbubbles. My set-up uses a 1"MPT - 3/4" barb fitting and this is what returns back to the tank. This acts as a bit of a choke or restrictor on the inlet side. I think that if you are running 1" in and out, sump is not returning water fast enough for the pump, causing it to pull air into the intake. Also make sure that you have a high enough water level in the sump when the pump is running or for sure, it will pull lots of air. It should be at least 2-3" about the top of the intake bulkhead. If you look very carefully at the intake bulkhead when the pump is running, you should be able to see if it is pulling air from the surface of the water. You will see a little vortex of air cycloning down to the bulkhead. HTH 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do have the return converting to 3/4 inch. The flowover comes down at 1 inch. I also have a release valve coming off the return that I have running back to the sump, for additional water for the pump. I'm not sure whatelse to do, but remove the pump and try all new plumbing to the bulkhead or see if LFS sells different threaded bulkheads.

Is there a place online that sells bulkheads?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:03 PM   #6
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are a bunch of online stores including some of the more popular on-line fish retailers. In addition, your local LFS should stock this routinely if they are large enough. How is the static water level in your sump when the pump is running?

Here are a couple of places that sell bulkheads:

www.plumbingworld.com
www.drsfostersmith.com
www.usplastics.com

Me
Old 11-19-2003, 02:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do you mean "static water level"?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:11 PM   #8
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am sorry, let me back up. Do you use a sump for your return or do you have the pump connected directly to the return line from the tank?

Me
Old 11-19-2003, 02:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

There's a compartment at the end of my fuge that the pump pulls water from.

I'll try uploading the layout to my gallery so you can better understand.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:45 PM   #10
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

That would help, but I get the feeling that you do not have enough standing water to feed that pump. I am using that same pump for my 135G tank. the return goes through an overflow into a sump that when the system is running, holds about 4 gallons of water. This is what the pump draws from so there is always an adequate supply of water for the intake. Unless you have an oversized return for the fuge, I do not think you are feeding the pump enough water. I would definitely consider resizing the pump for your set up.

Me

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com