Anyone have experience with this RO/DI unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent unit, excellent price. Probably a bit cheaper and better than the one I have. I have a reef club buddy who has one, very cool!

I dont have that one but it looks like it would be very good. I like the price.

I just might have to get one, that is a nice price, indeed!

I have the exact same unit purchased through that Filter Direct ebay store. Works great, my tank is so much happier now. :) Been using for several months now.

Nice... thanks for the replys.

What if any attachments did you guys buy with it? This is my first time buying a RO/DI unit.... what would you guys suggest?

A float valve to shut it off when the container gets full. How many of us have gone to bed to find an overflowing recptacle when we got up????

And the faucet adapter.

Excellent thread!!

Am I officially a jamaican shaman if I can see my own future?

I just got mine today, except a single DI, and it came with a 3g tank.

I would DEFINATELY go with one that comes with a tank. I can already see that's great to grab a gallon of top-off water. Without, you'll be waiting 15-20 minutes for a gallon.

Took 10 minutes to install once I made a trip to lowe's to get a new coldwater feed line (my old copper tubing was worn out).

I got the 3g tank and the faucet.

I've already made about 10g with it, after flusing the first 3.

I have read that dual DI isn't needed - 0ppm is 0ppm, you can't get any cleaner that that.

I got the add-on digital dual TDS meter, which shows in/out levels - from 295 or so down to 0ppm with a single DI.

I supposed the second DI would be handy if your first DI stage started to channel or get worn down.

I already see a need for the float valve, and will be ordering that later tonight. I can drain directly into a 5g bucket that I get my sea salt in, and have it stop when its full.

What exactly does a float valve do? I've had the unit for several months and it seems to shut off once the 3 gallon tank is full. Haven't noticed extra water draining (felt the line, not cold to the touch) and no noticeable change in water bill.

This unit came with the drinking water faucet which is nice to have. I didn't order anything extra, the ebay kit from them had everything I needed.

vanphyre, thats a different unit. filter direct sells one unit with a tank and faucet and the other has 2 di chambers and no tank for about 15-20 bucks less.

i had a hard time because i wanted the extra di chamber but went with the other because of the tank. i have been very happy also. having a hard time finding a high quality di resin to refil the chaber.

The float valve is mounted on the lid of a bucket, the top of a sump, whatever, and shuts off water from the RO filter (or gravity-fed resevoir) when the level reaches a certain point. I'm after one so I can run water into a bucket, and have it shut off before it overflows (which already happened while I got busy taking a phone call).

ahhh, that makes sense now. Sorry, I didn't notice that it was a different unit. I've had my bucket overflow twice so far, just simply forgot to check back in time. The tank holds about 3 gallons, then water trickles out into the bucket after that. I usually shut it off and wait for the tank to fill up again, but sometimes just let it trickle into the bucket. That trickle fills faster than you think.. :)

Just got ours in today (my salt water bud and I split the cost) so If any one has any questions on this exact unit before assembly ,I assume there will be some, fire away.

I'm going to add a "T" in the DI output line, and a second 6G bucket with another float valve, so I can fill 2 6 gallon buckets, plus the 3g in reserve, overnight. That gives me 15G, which is enough for a 20% water change.

No waiting, and it'll all fit under my laundry room sink.

I wish I had room for a large water container, which I could fill up, then mix with salt, aerate, and pump straight from there into the tank, but its about 25' away, and I just don't have room for a container that big where the RO unit is. Something to plan ahead better next time when placing an aquarium ;)

I have a unit just like it bought from the same seller, a great buy! I've got mine filling up a 35gal trash can, I keep it filled so I have plenty of water at all times, of course I'm using it for top off, making new SW and for my 5 Freshwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom