Anyone have/seen this before? (shark content)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DukeNukem713

Aquarium Advice Activist
Found this vid on youtube. This is so cool! The shark is beautiful, I was wondering if anyone else had experience with keeping sharks or has any pics or stories.

Most of the vids and/or info i've seen usually has to do with sharks in too small a tank/

They are challenging to keep, require a large tank (much larger than the one this animal is being housed in), are aggressive, require extreme care when doing water changes...

Even the smallest of 'em require a minimum of around 200 gallons, last I checked: there may be some other species i'm not aware of, of course.

There's really only so many ways for one to say "don't do it" honestly ;)

While sharks are beautiful, there are very few folks who have the space to keep a tank large enough to properly maintain one. I mean jeez, this thing (if I'm not mistaken) is a black tip - those are not even a particularly small breed of shark!!! Anything under 1000 gallons is way, way, WAY too small for this guy.

Oh wow thats pretty bad. I think in the video i posted i looked through the comments and the guy said he met the min requirements, you can see at the very end of the video how extremely long his tank is. But this one you posted, OOF, what is that a 125 gallon? 200?

Those eels are super freaking awesome though! haha

Not sure what size tank it is.

As for the blacktip, the problem isn't length it's width. The shark should be able to freely turn in the tank. As you can see in the vid, it's a tight fit already: and, if I'm correct on species, that shark is also going to be around 5' long when it's done growing.

If I had the $$ for a proper setup, I'd be all over it!

bighabeeb said:
Example of sharks being kept in a way, WAY small tank:

WOW that's terrible in so many ways. Way too small of a tank and those sharks need sandy bottom or they'll scratch their stomach, get infected, and most likely die.

That's def a blacktip and is already too big for that tank. Sadly most people get sharks because its cool and don't do the proper research on what it really takes to properly keep a shark. I myself would love to have one but wouldn't put one in half the tanks that they can be found in.

I use this a lot to show people how sharks should be kept.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/500-gallon-shark-lagoon-142779.html

DukeNukem713 said:
ahaha yeah my gf doesnt want any dogs, i want two, she doesnt know i bought her a puppy for christmas :whistle:

Haha good luck. I think santas gonna buy me new lights for christmas, which coincidentally, will fit on the plywood tank as well. Hmm, I need to make some blueprints lol.

Back
Top Bottom