Anyone here kept a Suncoral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidkameleon3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can get a good deal from a local guy/retailer on one , but it requires manual feeding 3x a week.Just curious if anyone else has attempted this?>Thanx

I was considering buying one, but am not really interested in the feeding that they require. From what I've heard if you feed them properly that are pretty hardy corals.

ya that was my thinking then seeing that not many people have them and a challenge I am iching here is hte pics of the actual coral he has

They are incredible looking, only bad thing is they extend their polyps at night

They are beautiful corals but they do require feeding a few times a week. It can be a pain but if placed in an easily accessable area of the tank, it should make keeping them a little easier. Near the substrate or on it where they can easily be enclosed with a bottomless plastic soda pop container is easiest. That way you can "cover feed" them as apposed to trying to feed each polyp seperately.

Cheers
Steve

The reason the sun coral needs feeding is because its non photosynthetic. This is one reason why it will extend its polyps at night more than in the daylight. You can place them in a shady area.

Kind of ironic that a SUN coral would be nonphotosynthetic.

A good friend of mine has one in his tank and its flourishing, he keeps it up higher in the tank for easy access to feed it. As long as your dedicated to take care of it and you got a turkey baster or eye dropper you should have good luck with it. :wink:

I myself have a sun coral...While yes feeding can be a tad annoying..It isn't as bad as some would lead you to believe.. As for the polyps extending only at night that IME is false...Since the coral itself can detect when food is present it will open with lights on to feed...HTH

I really want one for my 18gallon nano. I hear an easy way to feed it is with a 2 litre bottle with the bottom cut off and place the bottle around it and then place the food in the bottle. This allows every polyp to get food.

ever since I first saw a sun coral up at my LFS I have wanted one, however I too have heard that they only extend their polyps at night and that they can be difficult to feed. So I held off on getting one. But after reading this thread I think I might want to give them a try! Thanks AA!
Mermaid

Back
Top Bottom