Anyone know about feather stars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone know how hard these things are to keep. Are they reef safe? What are there requirements?

Fether star is the other name for a basket star, at least thats what i have read.
I have been told and read that they are hard to keep and will die a slow death in a tank. They do best under dim lighting and need a constant supply of zooplankton at night. Thats what the marine invert book says.
iMo another critter that needs to stay in the ocean..

I figured there was a catch or I would have heard more about them. My tank is definitely not dim.

I've seen them at Something Fishy and they do look cool, but not too sure about how well they would survive.

Sure are beautiful! I'm sure they've tempted many an ususpecting aquarist who hasn't done his homework.

Well you learn something every day. I learned about the Feather star today. Thanks for bringing it up.

I saw them on sale for $29. I had seen them before but never heard anything about care etc. I figured something was up.

That`s what I like about this site. Someone brings up a question and others learn from it.

There is a BIG flame war going on right now over at nano-reef.com about these! I think the scientific name is Crinoid. At least if you Google that you get more information on them.

I will say though, that from what I have read on them there success rate in the home aquaria is very low. No one really knows what exactly they eat or there requirements as far as light and water quality. Some have suggested that they like dirtier water for the nutirents! Just what I have read!

Till I find out any more I will not think about it. I think as previous stated they are better left in ocean. Go Cowboys

Back
Top Bottom