anyone know about Nassarious Obsoleta snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srgetz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought some on ebay as they are cheap and I am really in need of a larger cleanup crew. Anyone have experience with them or know if they are good for reef setups?

I have some, they spend most of their time cleaning the sand. A nice snail, not the prettiest, but they work hard. Good buy IMO.

Do you mean llynassa obsoleta or however ya spell it? They are not true marine snails and come from cooler mud flats. Not sure how that affects their long term survival in the aquarium.

I'm not sure if they are the same snail or not.. but I still believe they are mud snails.

Maybe they are different....not sure. I can take a digital shot tomorrow and we can compare.

There should be pics of it here

The only reason I mentioned it is because I've seen those for sale all over ebay for a while, so maybe they decided to call them Nassarius now to make them more appealing.

Ya I got some of the snails your talking about off ebay. The first batch arrived cooked. The second batch they sent to make up for the cooked batch are all alive and well. They pretty much move around everywhere on the sand and glass. Not many of mine ever get on the rocks. HTH! :wink:

the auction read: "These snails are a cross-breed of " Nassarious Vibex " an excellent sand sifter. And the " Ilyanassa Obsoleta " which is a very good glass cleaner and dose some sand sifting also. So this gives them the proper name of " Nassarious Obsoleta ". The " Nassarious Vibex " is usely found in warmer waters.
The " Ilyanassa Obsoleta " was introduced in Boston a long time ago and is normaly found in colder waters. Another name for the " Ilyanassa Obsoleta " is " Mud Snail ".

Back
Top Bottom