Anyone know any tricks to get Clown host Anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KwakaZX12R

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I've had this Magnificent Anemone for a few days and my tank raised Oscill. Clown pays it no attention....
I couldn't place the Anemone where the clown currently sleeps due to lack of room...
Any tips to lure her to her new (very expensive) home?
2 attachments - anemone home and clown hovering over it's host sandbend ( where the anemone won't fit)

Attachments

• image-1980551640.jpg
    image-1980551640.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 281
  • image-3525650476.jpg
    image-3525650476.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 270
There are no tricks. They will either use the anemone as their host or they won't. It's a 50/50 shot.

Yes there are, u can put the clowns and the nem in a bucket and leave them in it until the clowns go into it, then they shud host it!

ccCapt said:
There are no tricks. They will either use the anemone as their host or they won't. It's a 50/50 shot.

+1 very true.

But when I want to give them a higher chance at hosting ... When I first buy the clown I buy the anemone, and put them in the same bag while acclimating them to the tank....... But that might be late in your case......

Swimzebras said:
Yes there are, u can put the clowns and the nem in a bucket and leave them in it until the clowns go into it, then they shud host it!

I have found that this often does work! Not all the time, but usually!

KwakaZX12R said:
Hi,
I've had this Magnificent Anemone for a few days and my tank raised Oscill. Clown pays it no attention....
I couldn't place the Anemone where the clown currently sleeps due to lack of room...
Any tips to lure her to her new (very expensive) home?
2 attachments - anemone home and clown hovering over it's host sandbend ( where the anemone won't fit)

This is going to sound stupid,but I have heard it actually works sometimes.Find a picture on the Internet of your color clown hosting in an anemone and tape it to the glass closet to where your anemone is and wait and see

I've heard of ricksreefs Suggestion before, though I've never tried it. It took my clown a month to host my long tentacle anemone. While it only took 3 days to host a bubble tip

Thanks for advise everyone.
There's no chance of getting the nem out of the tank to try the bucket trick. It's well and truly anchored.
I'm tying the picture angle. As you can see from pic. :)
If it fails I will get an ocean caught clown an it should dive straight in and lure my existing clown in.

Attachments

• image-3009509696.jpg
    image-3009509696.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 170
  • image-4088617053.jpg
    image-4088617053.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 153
This is so funny and weird but I love that idea!!! Wondering I it's gonna work.
Let's wait and see

I think just being patient is the best action for now, I had cinnamon clowns and after a few months picked up a green carpet anemone. It took a while but they hosted it. It takes time to happen, my clowns would go look at the nem and get a sting then avoid it for days but over time their immunity built up and their investigations got more frequent till finally they moved in. It was actually pretty funny to watch.

I bought a bubble tip anemone for my clown who pays it no attention. I also got a bubble coral at the same time, and he's actually saddling up to it and even dove straight into it once. I've seen clowns go for more tentacley corals like elegans and torch before, but never a bubble. Go figure. . .

I've found in my experience that tank raised clown fish, especially Ocellaris clown fish are hard to get to host to an Anemone.

For some reason they tend to like corals and rockwork to host to.

Maroon Clownfish, while much more agressive seem to host to an Anemone every time.

I don't know why but it's what I've found over the years. Just seems the tank raised Ocellaris clown's don't really know about hosting to an Anemone, it seems like it's just not natural for them.

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom