Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Anyone make there own Food?

Hey guys,

i was just wondering if anyone made there own foods, currently i feed formula 1 frozen, formula 2 pellets, frozen brine, and Romaine lettuce or Nori on a veggie clip. I have

2 - O. Clowns
1 - yellow watchman
1 - yellow tang
1 - dottyback
1 - chromis

Do you think thats a good diet, i wanted to add some of that garlic supplement to the mix, but dont really have anything to mix it with. I alternate between all the foods by the way, not all at once. If anybody has any ideas just spit them out, im sure a lot of us would like to know.

THanks,

- Jeff

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Ditch the lettuce in favor of nori. The lettuce has near zero nutrional value.

A good number of us make our own 'blender mush'. I usually include 4 or 5 different types of seafood as well as nori and saltwater for consistancy.

Nori
Squid
Clams
Shrimp
Scallops
Tuna Steak

You wont need alot of any one type and you will want to pour it into small sandwitch ziplock bags and press the food out so its only about 1/4" thick. Place on a flat surface in freezer to harden.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use
nori
scallops
shrimp
zooplex
phytoplex
fresh garlic
marine zoe
marine granule food(trying to use it up)
Blend it and add a little bit of tank water to get it to blend, then I pour it in a plastic cake pan lid and spread it thin, then put it in the freezer for about 30 to 45 minutes, then break it into 4 inch squares and put it in a zip lock bag.
Sometimes I can find a small squid for like a buck at HEB and I will add some of this too. I use scallops and shrimp soaked in marine zoe to feed the anemones with.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I live on the coast in Massachusetts. There is tons of seaweed of various types all over the beaches. Would these be ok to harvest for food? I've already been out combing the beach for extra hermit crab shells!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:35 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Honestly I would worry about contaminants with the wild collected seaweed. Its fairly cheap for 100 pack of 8"X11" sheets from healthfood stores either local or online as comapired to the LFS cost for simular product.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
one of my friends that runs a chinese buffet gave me some, is this stuff OK to use, they dont seem to eat it and thats why i switched to romaine lettuce, which my Tang loves.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com