Anyone regret a big buy at your lfs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evansimp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I guess it wasn't a big buy, but I picked up a zoa/paly rock at my lfs yesterday for 30$. This is a big buy for me when it comes to livestock. Anyways, I saw about 10-15 nice heads of a paly on there and the rest was covered in zoas, about 100. I thought it was gonna be a great deal and was really excited. However, I didn't see the zoas opened, they were all closed. The tanks lighting was low/moderate and I thought maybe it was the lighting that caused them not to open.

The heads still aren't opening, and I think I bought a rock full of dead zoas :( pretty bummed.

Anyone else have any similar stories? Vent away haha

I wouldn't be too concerned at one day in your tank..... They can take some time to fully acclimate & open up.
What kind of lighting were they under at the store, and what kind do you have?? If your lights are brighter than the store's, then they could be a bit overwhelmed..... If that's the case, maybe try moving them under a rock shelf so they get good indirect light to start.

And 100+ heads of zoas for $30 is a darn good buy........

I guess it wasn't a big buy, but I picked up a zoa/paly rock at my lfs yesterday for 30$. This is a big buy for me when it comes to livestock. Anyways, I saw about 10-15 nice heads of a paly on there and the rest was covered in zoas, about 100. I thought it was gonna be a great deal and was really excited. However, I didn't see the zoas opened, they were all closed. The tanks lighting was low/moderate and I thought maybe it was the lighting that caused them not to open.

The heads still aren't opening, and I think I bought a rock full of dead zoas :( pretty bummed.

Anyone else have any similar stories? Vent away haha

Were they all open when you bought it? If so, just wait it out a couple 3 days.

The lighting was a small strip of small LEDs. It was a tank full of zoas so the lighting didn't have to be high.

There was about 15 big heads that were open, I'm sure they're palys, but the zoas weren't. I shouldn't have got it, but I figured the heads would open eventually, but they haven't showed any sign

Back
Top Bottom