Anyone sandless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have black sand in one of my tanks and use mag floats you just gotta make sure it does not get on the magfloat I keep mine an inch away from the sand and use an algae scrubber for the bottom.

I have black sand in one of my tanks and use mag floats you just gotta make sure it does not get on the magfloat I keep mine an inch away from the sand and use an algae scrubber for the bottom.

Are you using the black diamond blasting sand and is it a SW set up? I have used this sand in FW but have wondered how well it works in salt, haven't seen much discussion about it in salt tanks

When we say Pool Sand, are we referring to pool filter sand? I saw some at Home Depot it was like 6.00 for a 50lb. bag. Says it cover .5 cu ft. I think it was called Pavestone

If you want the look of a sand bed with the ease of a bare bottom You can do what i did glue some pool filter sand to a hdpe cutting board. Easy to cut with a jig saw.

Trowel some silicone on the boards then cover with sand of choice, let dry for a few days. Line the bottom of your tank and enjoy.
I have around 10k gph flow in my tank and no sand storms.

Along the same line, anybody using foam for the bottom? I guess if coralline could grow on a fake boulder foam rock bottom, it could look nice.

The black sand blasting sand I was told is too sharp for some of our sand stutters, sifters, and burrowers. You should stick to the bagged stuff for black IMO.

And will, you're right about the pool filter sand.

The black sand blasting sand I was told is too sharp for some of our sand stutters, sifters, and burrowers. You should stick to the bagged stuff for black IMO. And will, you're right about the pool filter sand.
ok, thanks hank I hadn't thought of that way, I was thinking mainly from a water chemistry standpoint

I want to say it is ok...I recall this debate from earlier this year when I was talking about it. Some say it has something nasty in it while another has had it in a tank of his for several years. So I just stick with not wanting to hurt my engineer or mandarin with the sharp edges.

Are you using the black diamond blasting sand and is it a SW set up? I have used this sand in FW but have wondered how well it works in salt, haven't seen much discussion about it in salt tanks

No I'm using black aquarium sand it does have some magnectic properties as well I have noticed. But for the black diamond I do have 100# of it im going to be using for me 40 breeder but that's going freshwater I do know it has some sort of slag in it though sry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks, I do have it in two of my planted FW tanks, I'm just trying to find an inexpensive source for a potential reef build that may be in the works

Back
Top Bottom