Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Perfect timing! I spent an hour last weekend hanging power strips on the inside wall of my stand, using the "tape" method to label all the plugs, organizing the different types of plugs (lighting, power heads, pumps) into their own power strips. I installed touch lights in the stand so I didnt have to keep using a flash light. And...I zip tied everything! I was so proud of it I had to show my wife!

My next project is to build two curios to stand flush against the Tank. Inside the "cabinet" part of it, I am going to use peg board as backing. That way, all the little clutter that usually just gets thrown in a box can be hung up just like at the LFS.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice, peg board inside is a great idea.

75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like the touch light idea, never thought of that.
Jim
Old 02-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Joemama16341 Send a message via MSN to Joemama16341
I agree with the neat look but the problem I run into is if you zip tie all your cords then everytime you need to take something off you have to cut all the zip ties. I need to take my lights off periodically for cleaning and with them zip tied I can't do it without cutting the ties. I am going to upgrade to the velcro things.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks!

If you want to tie them together untill you get the velcro straps, try the old garbage bag style zip ties. They open and close pretty easily.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I once decided to make the wiring nice (on my old PC). I carefully zip-tied all wiring together into a "harness".

Then one day I decided to move something. I had to rip apart the entire mess, cut up electrical tape etc. It took the same amount of time to remove my cleanliness as it did to create it in the first place.

So now I just leave it as a huge tangled mess - it's much more efficient that way.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com