Anyone tried the algae vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty Fraiser

Aquarium Advice Activist
Saw it advertised in a magazine. Doing the best I can to get parameters back in check. In the meantime I'm trying to keep tis algae from getting completely out of control. Has anyone ever tried it.

i usually just use a 1/2" hose to syphone water out and whatever algae with it, it gets clogged up a bit but its easy to control and easy to unclog so i am able to get alot of algae off in a 5 gallon change.

you can also put some water back in from the changing bucket and do another round of syphoning to get more algae off. i wouldn't waste money on a so called vacuum when a tube will do the same thing and will cost you a few bucks

The hair algae is short in most of the places and it just won't let go. The algae is sucked up into the hose but stays put when I move the hose.

i usually just use a 1/2" hose to syphone water out and whatever algae with it, it gets clogged up a bit but its easy to control and easy to unclog so i am able to get alot of algae off in a 5 gallon change.

you can also put some water back in from the changing bucket and do another round of syphoning to get more algae off. i wouldn't waste money on a so called vacuum when a tube will do the same thing and will cost you a few bucks

Just get a filter sock, clip it in your sump and syphon into that with out losing water

I do run dual filtersocks in the sump. I thought about that but if I siphon into sump it will overflow. Not quite sure I understand what you mean. I can run the pump bit it will be overwhelmed with the overflow and the siphon.

Siphoning into the sump is no different than having two over flows. Shouldn't over flow the sump. Try it and watch. If it gets close then stop

Smaller hose has higher suction. I use the air line tubing to suck hair algae. A straw for soda fits snugly to the tubing and it becomes a stiff nozzle. A plastic rod from blinder can be tied to the tubing as your wand and reach the bottom of your tank without submerging your hands.

Siphoning into the sump is no different than having two over flows. Shouldn't over flow the sump. Try it and watch. If it gets close then stop
This depends on the capacity of your return pump and the size of tubing you use for suction. It will definitely overflow if more water is moved to the sump than the pump can transfer back to the DT.

What runs through the siphon is that much less that will not go through the over flow. The total amount going to the sump should be the same.

This depends on the capacity of your return pump and the size of tubing you use for suction. It will definitely overflow if more water is moved to the sump than the pump can transfer back to the DT.

Correct but I'm assuming ( you know what that means lol) he's running a fair sized over flow and not siphoning with 1" id tubing either

Haha. Y'all are right! Gonna try it tonight. What goes through siphon is less the overflow! Duh. Thanks a lot for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom