Anyone use Aqua-Safe RO/DI units from EBay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering if anyone uses the Aqua Safe Brand RO from Ebay. Is it any good? If not, can anyone tell me which one you have and your review of it. There are so many to pick from. I am just being cautious and want to pick a good one.

They work just fine. The only drawback some people find is the prefilter canisters are not clear. If you have a high TDS water going in, it can make it difficult to know when they are exhausted and need to be changed (if earlier than 6 months).

Cheers
Steve

So when I look, I should look for one with clear prefilter cannisters? Do they make them?

Depends on the TDS of your local tap water. If on the higher side, it would help in keeping the unit 100%. Most Ebay units are opeque so you will have to look for ones from an online fish store. They can be rather pricy though. Wouldn't hurt to go to HD and see if they sell the clear canisters and compare costs. If inexspensive, you could buy the clear canisters and replace the ones the Aquasafe comes with. You can also e-mail the seller and see if that's an option when you buy.

Cheers
Steve

Is it really a plus to have clear canisters? I am going back and forth between the E-Bay systems and the AquaFx Barracuda. I can save a $100 with the E-Bay ones, but they have the opaque canisters. Can I get away with not seeing the filters and change regularly or would it be cheaper in the long run to buy the Barracuda and replace when I need to?

Todd said:
Is it really a plus to have clear canisters? I am going back and forth between the E-Bay systems and the AquaFx Barracuda. I can save a $100 with the E-Bay ones, but they have the opaque canisters. Can I get away with not seeing the filters and change regularly or would it be cheaper in the long run to buy the Barracuda and replace when I need to?
In the long run I personally think it makes little difference. If your going to need to change them the type of unit won't make much difference. You might be changing them a little earlier than needed to (6 mo vs 8) but considering the cost alternatives, I would choose the Aquasafe one. I bought one last year, works very well.

Cheers
Steve

One more question. Is the water coming out as good as bottled water. My wife drinks a ton of bottled water and if I could replace that with this water, I will. Would I then spend a little more and get one with the pressurized tank or the faucet?

Todd said:
Is the water coming out as good as bottled water.
Better.

Would I then spend a little more and get one with the pressurized tank or the faucet?
It would be a good idea. The pressure tank holds about 3-4 gallons. If you have a 5 gal water cooler stand, you could also use it for that.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom