Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used to use Coralife salt but switched to Reef Crystals because I had trouble maintaining my CA. I started to get some cyno build-up with RC so I now have switched to Oceanic. I have only done one water change with it so it is a bit early to render an opinion. I do know my cyno is gone and my CA is over 400 with it.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I tried a bucket of the Oceanic when it first came out and became the rage. I found that the pH was always low. I now use RC and supplement it with TuboCa.

I'm still waiting for the definitive salt test to be done and a BEST announced. For now, I'll work with consistency and work around that.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ordered 2 buckets of coralife salt and then 2 buckets of RC(since it seems to be the favorite) I wanted to stock up while I had the cash. 600 gallons of salt mix at 8-10 gallons per week PWC Should probably last 1 year I should have ordered all of 1 kind but its a done deal now. I will probably start with the Coralife and then try the reef crystals and see which I like better. To monitor my levels should I test The freshly made RO/DI water after I add the salt and let it sit for a day. Or should I test the water in my tank mid-week to see where I am at or both. How often and when do all of you test your tanks????

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Test both and graph the tank over time.
I test each batch just before I use it (24-48 hours after mixing).
Old 01-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have used Oceanic, IO, Kent Sea Salt and recently Red Sea Coral Pro. Kent was the best hands down with regards to my corals reaction to water changes. All of them have issues with ALK not being acceptable, needing ALK additions to balance them out. I experienced the most cyano with IO, Oceanic was the easiest to mix. My personal testing (and I mean buckets, not just a few water changes of each) has shown me that Kent Sea Salt is the best overall with Oceanic a close second. IO is great middle of the road salt and I will *never* buy another Red Sea salt product again in my life. Red Sea is completely unreliable, inconsistent and mixes like concrete.

GL!!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting that you had such good results from Kent salt. I had the opposite result. Low pH, low Ca, etc. They had me send them a sample from the bucket and agreed that it did not meet spec. They sent me a new bucket. Too bad they didn't test it first because it was no better. I didn't want a third bucket so they send me a small jar of TurboCa and a smal jar SuperBuffer dKH.

I'm also finding that Red Sea (i'm on my 2nd bucket) has been pretty consistent for me. A little low on Ca but I have my jar of Kent's to boost that.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cmor, Honestly, I have no idea how any one can stand to use the Red Sea product. I have had the worst results with regards to coral health with it than any other. Do you find that it does not mix completely with lots of residual trash in the bucket? True enough peoples results will vary as, more than people take into account, source water has a lot to do with you salt mix.

Tags
coral, coralife, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com