Anyone use Pruigen by seachem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
While at work a customer told me he was using Purigen by Seachem and it made his water crystal clear. He said it polished the water much better than carbon or chemi-pure. Any experience with this? BTW, the container states this product is rechargeable.

While at work a customer told me he was using Purigen by Seachem and it made his water crystal clear
It seems to work that way... I have only really used Purigen.. so I cant say if its better than GAC..

Any experience with this?
I throw it in my tank and just let it sit there.. It seems to do its job pretty good..

BTW, the container states this product is rechargeable.
Yes it is.. You soak it in bleach for like 4-6hrs then soak it in a high strength of prime for like 4-6hrs. Make sure you smell no more bleach and throw it back into the tank.. Works Great.. My water doesnt seem yellow to me.. Seems pretty clear.. I just got one of the Seachem "Bag" ones and sampled it.. It was only like 5.00 or something like that...

HTH<
James

I was looking into putting this into my Emperor 400 baskets and using it as a water polisher. I took out the "floss" filters and just use the 400 for water movement and break the water surface...

I use Purigen just as a backup means of controlling excess nitrate. Although, I am sure that my DSB can handle it all, but its more for piece of mind than anything else.

I still run GAC as Purigen is geared more toward removing nitrogenous waste whereas GAC seems to be more liberal with its removal procedures.

That sounds good.
I just bought a pack for my two week old 55 gallon freshwater with less than polished water.
How does it actually work? It's unclear from the box and chemistry class is a distant memory.

I have one in each of my tanks and have already done the recharge thing. Works like a charm. I was kinda leary of using 50/50 bleach on something that was going in my water but no problems. The first time it turned brown in about 3 weeks so I guess the nitrates really adsorbed well. Now my nitrates are very low and it's been about 3 weeks and it is still very light colored.

Thanks Kat.,
Yeah. The bleach thing made me leary as well.
I have had it in place for about 4 hours and damn if the water doesn't seem clearer. Is that possible? Will do some tests in the morning. Jeff

Hi Guys,
Haven't noticed that the Purigen has radically changed my water parameters for the better or worse, but is it ever getting yellow fast. It must be doing something!
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom