Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone use pvc support for LR?

I'm building a couple right now out of 1" pvc, and just wondered anyone has any advice.

I plan to drill holes in the LR and "hang" them on pegs cemented into my pvc supports.

I'll get pics up ASAP.

Whaddya think?

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you click on my gallery there's a pic of one of my pvc supports. I'm not sure I'll use it, but I had leftover pvc from my plumbing job so I gave it a shot.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've read of doing this before and corralline actually is very attracted to pvc for some reason. You probably won't be able to see the pvc after a month.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrikat
I've read of doing this before and corralline actually is very attracted to pvc for some reason. You probably won't be able to see the pvc after a month.
My goal is to arrange to the rock so I won't see the pvs support at all - at least from the front and right side (areas of non-fish trafiic in my house).

Interesting point about the coralline - I never read that before. New thing every day!?!?!

Livestock I added:

Old 01-22-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO not needed and extra work. In both my tanks I have the rocks stacked and there has never been a problem.
But hey some people do use the PVC and like it. In this hobby there are many ways to do things.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wish that I had placed my LR onto PVC support pilings. They've settled in the sand bed quite a bit and still tend to move around a bit even a year later.

Yes, Coraline grows on PVC really quickly.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

LR when placed in the tank should either go first so it rests on the bottom or if placed on the sand should be wiggled down till it touches bottom to avoid and problem with a collapse.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I've heard you should sand off the printing... but I don't recall where I read it. I used a few 4" diameter pipe couplings to raise a few rocks up over the sand bed. seems like it worked well.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I changed my mind about the PVC stands. Now I'm investigating the possibility of putting a few horizontal open pieces (drilled for circulation) under the sand to both hold up the rock and perhaps serve as burrows for jawfish or other sand critters. Any feedback? Bad idea?

(Go easy on me, I'm still anewbie, in spite of my "promotion" to "Regular" on this board.)

Livestock I added:

Tags
pvc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com