Anyone use pvc support for LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm building a couple right now out of 1" pvc, and just wondered anyone has any advice.

I plan to drill holes in the LR and "hang" them on pegs cemented into my pvc supports.

I'll get pics up ASAP.

Whaddya think? :?:

If you click on my gallery there's a pic of one of my pvc supports. I'm not sure I'll use it, but I had leftover pvc from my plumbing job so I gave it a shot. :shotgun:

I've read of doing this before and corralline actually is very attracted to pvc for some reason. You probably won't be able to see the pvc after a month.

electrikat said:
I've read of doing this before and corralline actually is very attracted to pvc for some reason. You probably won't be able to see the pvc after a month.

My goal is to arrange to the rock so I won't see the pvs support at all - at least from the front and right side (areas of non-fish trafiic in my house).

Interesting point about the coralline - I never read that before. New thing every day!?!?!

IMO not needed and extra work. In both my tanks I have the rocks stacked and there has never been a problem.
But hey some people do use the PVC and like it. In this hobby there are many ways to do things.

I wish that I had placed my LR onto PVC support pilings. They've settled in the sand bed quite a bit and still tend to move around a bit even a year later.

Yes, Coraline grows on PVC really quickly.

LR when placed in the tank should either go first so it rests on the bottom or if placed on the sand should be wiggled down till it touches bottom to avoid and problem with a collapse.

I've heard you should sand off the printing... but I don't recall where I read it. I used a few 4" diameter pipe couplings to raise a few rocks up over the sand bed. seems like it worked well.

Well, I changed my mind about the PVC stands. Now I'm investigating the possibility of putting a few horizontal open pieces (drilled for circulation) under the sand to both hold up the rock and perhaps serve as burrows for jawfish or other sand critters. Any feedback? Bad idea?

(Go easy on me, I'm still anewbie, in spite of my "promotion" to "Regular" on this board.) :)

Back
Top Bottom