Anyone using marine snow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a bottle of Marine Snow for my acro and monit corals, more to just help them grow a bit faster.

I haven't noticed it helping either corals much. Would I get a better result from Reef Roids?

All this stuff seems to do is help feed hair algae and tube worms. I have a massive amount of small tube worms growing out of my rocks since I started using this stuff. Funny how they are the ones benefiting and not the acro and montis.

IMO, all that stuff is a waste of $. Keep your water parameters stable (salinity, temp, pH, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium), do regular water changes and keep up with maintenance and your corals will grow fast enough.
You mentioned hair algae. If you have any nusiance algae in your tank, you have high nutrients. What's your nitrate and phosphate levels? If you read any phosphate on your test kit, it's too high. Phosphate interfers in the process of calcification...which means your coral won't grow.

nitrate and phosphate are zero. I have a ball to chaeto in my refuge that almost fills the whole 10Gs. It's not a hair algae problem, it's that it grows like crazy after adding marine snow.

I agree with Larry. Save your money for more important things. Find out what`s fueling the algea and get rid of it.

Ok, when I say makes the hair algae grow like crazy I mean that on one rock it goes from a closely cropped green to nearly an inch long over night. Again, just on that rock. Then I don't dose the Marine Snow until the tangs and emerald crabs crop it all.

I asked about the reef roids because that is just phytoplankton whereas Marine Snow has other "stuff".

Back
Top Bottom