Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
anyone's cleaner shrimp do this to?

My cleaner shrimp is obsessed with me. Everytime I put my hand in the tank, he swims over to me and hops on it. The only difference today was he found a small hangnail that I didn't know I had... I usually humor him and let him stay on my hand for a couple of seconds, but he found my hangnail, and all of a sudden gave it a good tug. It surprised me cause I wasn't paying any attention to him, I was watching my CB.

Guess I gotta check for small hangnails before putting my hands in anymore... it kinda hurt but was pretty funny.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Mine did this, i was never up on getting a manicure...maybe this could turn into a new business idea.....

also my Blue Tang used to nip at my fingers (usually trying to get at the lettuce i was holding, lol, but still)

geckofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
My cleaner did as well, he would even start picking under my fingernails.

Hmm, cleaner shrimp manicure.. you could be on to something
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to amahler
I call this "stupid shrimp tricks" and often stick my hand in the tank for visitors. Everyone is always amazed when he hops on my hand and runs up and down my arm. I guess people don't tend to associate animals in a saltwater tank with being that interactive or tame.

Always a good conversation piece.

- Aaron
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.

90G acrylic/22G sump/TF100A skimmer
90lbs (45 liverocks.com & ~45 donated 14+ year old Fiji)
Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
amahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Mine do this as well in both of my reefs. My shy blod shrimp has even taken part. I do like the feeling.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yes Both my pair of skunks and fires do the same thing. I fires tend to go back into hiding once they figure out I dont have any food for them. The skunks on the onther hand just love climbing on me and picking.
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My cleaner loves it when i put my hand in there. It didn't used to but my friend watched my tank for a few weeks and i guess he was doing it and now everytime stick my hand in there he goes for a ride/lunch while i do what i have to do in the tank. they are really cool!

ntswift is offline   Reply With Quote

clean, cleaner, cleaner shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com