Anything wrong with this set up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I have been planning out a Aquapod build to help my wife get off on the right foot ( what she wanted for x-mas). Here is what I have decided to do, anything look wrong or anything we're missing that is a must have.

Current Aquapod24 w/ PC lighting- already bought( i considered MH,not this time guys)
My plans:

Replacing stock Power Head with maxi-jet 1200

Adding a koralia#1 , will position mid height across front of LR

150 watt visi-therm stealth heater

Will toss out all foam blocks/bioballs and fill 1st chamber with 5-7#'s of rubble or what ever will fit. will spill all return water at surface skimmer level.

Currently curing 30#'s of premium fiji LR. Enough including the rubble?

10#'s of live sand mixed with 10#'s of dry sand-figure 2 or so inches

Will start using reef crystals instead of my instant ocean salt at 1.023

Only fish planned will be 6 line wrasse, other than that Zoa's, buttons,star polyps,mushrooms,xenia,shrimps,crabs,lobster,and snails. ( No clams,SPS,LPS)

No other form of filter or media planned, only 5gal PWC weekly in the begining, then after established may try to go bi-weekly.

What do ya think? am I setting her up for success? Anything I should place in 2nd resivor with heater and Power head other than ocassional 24 hour period of some floss to remove particles after maintanence ?

Thanks,

Everything looks great! Just be careful with lobsters. Do you have an idea of what type of lobster?

What is the wattage for the Aquapod 24?

Not real sure, will have to research to find one that won't eat everything. Might investigate the purple lobster based only on color alone. Any tips on keeping shrimps together, can they be of same species or is different species best?

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Debelius' Reef Lobster

This is the one I have and I wonder if a 24 is too small for him. I have mine in a 125. But I do want you to understand something. I`ve had mine about 6 yrs and can count how many times I have seen him during that time on one hand. If you are getting him to enjoy watching him then dont get it because you will never see him. He only comes out at night when the lights are out.

Most shrimp seem to be pretty compatible. The coral banded shrimp as beautiful as it is, should only pretty much be the only shrimp in the system. Mine decided to tear apart all my peppermint shrimp. So just be cautious with the CBS.

Also....BE VERY CAREFUL with a wrasse as I learned the hard way a few years back with a $36.00 lunch for one I use to have.... Dropped my 2 nice beautiful shrimp into my tank and 1 was gone before he reached the bottom and the second was gone in 30 seconds ....I watched my wrasse have a deliciouse lunch....invert safe .....with caution (I did not know this fact for about an hour after lunch was served) Wrasse also like to jump so make sure there is very little room for escape!

Ok, thanks, we'll nix the wrasse idea. Did more reading on my own and it doesn't look like the wrasse family fishes like to play nice with shrimps:mad:

Sorry to hear about your 2 shrimps that became lunch:-(

Actually....It was kinda funny after the initial shock of the money and life loss.....But it was also my personal turning point. This is when I learned to research....not believe lfs employees at face value and research some more. This is , to me, the most important thing to do. It also makes the hobby fun because there are thousands of interesting facts that you learn along the way!!

Back
Top Bottom