Apartment Safe Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I live on the 4th floor of an apartment building. The building is old at least 35 years old. There are wood floor and I was wondering if yu guys think its safe to have a 55 gallon without the floor caving in? I had a 46 gallon Acrylic but I hated how easy it got scratched, so I went for glass which is heavier. So I have a 55 gallon I got from petsmart with a stand. Its going to be a saltwater aquarium. Just don't want the floor caving in and causing too much damage. :thanks:

I would check with your landlord and see what they think. They may also be able to tell you where some of the support beams are and where the tank would be safest.

ChiTownRomeo said:
Hi I live on the 4th floor of an apartment building. The building is old at least 35 years old. There are wood floor and I was wondering if yu guys think its safe to have a 55 gallon without the floor caving in? I had a 46 gallon Acrylic but I hated how easy it got scratched, so I went for glass which is heavier. So I have a 55 gallon I got from petsmart with a stand. Its going to be a saltwater aquarium. Just don't want the floor caving in and causing too much damage. :thanks:

You will be ok, if the floor caves from a 55g your land lord will be sued for building code infractions. A 55g is about 5 people standing side by side for comparison

You will have to check how your apartment is constructed.

Base on what I just constructed my brewery on the second floor of a concrete construction with the support column 0.6 meter in diameter. It can hold up to 2.5 ton per square meter.

But if your construct is setup like in the US apartment (that I used to stayed in NC). It made of very poor foundation. I feel that Construction in NY and Florida are much better.

However, As long as you put your tank near and lined on the same axis with your concrete column. You should be alright.

A 55g tank weighs 458 pounds plus the weight of the tank itself. What I would do is verify if your landlord is ok with you even having a tank. Once he says it's ok get it in writing!!!!!!!! Now you need to determine the structure, chances are its either wood frame or concrete. If its concrete just giver, if it's wood frame you need to find out which way the joists run. A stud finder may do the job for you. Once you know which way they run you will want to place the tank near a wall and have it perpendicular to joists so the weight is spread out more.

I agree with the folks suggesting to check with your landlord. There could be something stating that you can't have an aquarium (or maybe size restrictions). I would also look into rental insurance and see if that would cover any damage that might be caused by water. I've known people that got a policy paired with their auto insurance and the discount that they got on the auto actually paid for the cost (and then some) of the rental policy. Strange, but very true.

Schism said:
You will be ok, if the floor caves from a 55g your land lord will be sued for building code infractions. A 55g is about 5 people standing side by side for comparison

I respectfully disagree . You could kill somebody not to mention your tank will be gone and your fish, dead. Most apartment leases include a claus about aquariums. Unless you are first floor, they generally don't permit aquariums more than 20 gallons.

You could have a party of people and 10 people could be in a picture standing side by side, that's double the weight of a 55. 2 rows of 5, takes up ABOUT the same space, and weighs twice as much, if your florist concave from people standing on it, you've got problems.

You could have a party of people and 10 people could be in a picture standing side by side, that's double the weight of a 55. 2 rows of 5, takes up ABOUT the same space, and weighs twice as much, if your florist concave from people standing on it, you've got problems.

That still doesn't change leasing and liability issues of an aquarium itself. People falling through a floor can be covered by insurance. Someone's aquarium going through or causing water damage isn't always covered. Hence talk to the landlord...though I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem since the OP already has a 46 gal. Still, being on good terms with your landlord is a good person to have in your pocket/on your side. So check with him/her.

christine2012 said:
I respectfully disagree . You could kill somebody not to mention your tank will be gone and your fish, dead. Most apartment leases include a claus about aquariums. Unless you are first floor, they generally don't permit aquariums more than 20 gallons.

Ive rented many apartments. One of which i had i 180g on the second floor. No clause on any lease ive ever signed saying NO fish tank.

He asked if his structure can support it, and yes any wood floor rented out has to be able to hold a 55g aquarium, total weight filled comes to 625 lbs. this is two linebackers standing beside each other. If your floor can not handle that i would not be living there and it is against building code. Proper placement over struts as suggested will reduce any problem.

Whether or not you are allowed to have an aquarium in an apartment is something you har to figure out ant was mot part of the original question. I personally have never come across one that i could not.

Something I'm seeing as an argument here is people standing on the floor and weighing more, yes it weighs double but for 1 minute while a picture is taken is nothing compared to 24/7 as a tank will be there. You may or may not see something in your lease or agreement about a tank but I promise you it's in your best interest to verify with your landlord and get it in writing. This may save your butt if there ever is an issue, plus avoid eviction if he/she happens to see it.

kdpuffer said:
Something I'm seeing as an argument here is people standing on the floor and weighing more, yes it weighs double but for 1 minute while a picture is taken is nothing compared to 24/7 as a tank will be there. You may or may not see something in your lease or agreement about a tank but I promise you it's in your best interest to verify with your landlord and get it in writing. This may save your butt if there ever is an issue, plus avoid eviction if he/she happens to see it.

Im just saying from personal experience and years of renting ive never had a problem with it. Ive even sold my old landlord my last tank lol.

I think you will be quite surprised at what most properly build floors can hold 'all the time'. Btw your tank stand is built with smaller and weaker construction practices than your floor. Your stand will fail before your floor does. If properly setup that is.

Yeah i guess checking with your land lord is the best way to go, but ive never run into a situation i could not.

This is a 55g aquarium ppl. This is most floors in the US right here. These are 2x10/2x12 floor struts. Each 2x10 strut alone is capable of holding well over 1 ton. positioned over 3-4 struts you easily have 6000 lbs of 'constant' support. not just a group standing together for a picture. If your floor is of 2x12's then its even more. Also this is based on 16" on center spacing and the tank will be less load bearing if placed near an outside wall.

Also for comparison my brother has a 90g tank on the second floor of his apartment. The floor along with the rest of the house was built in 1890. Yes I said 1890. The tank has been up their for 3 years, i would easily trust sleeping under it. Just my opinion and experience, hope it helps.

Also the pic is my floor, not his 1890 floor lol.

Attachments

• image-4223047995.jpg
    image-4223047995.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 142
Haha I had to chime in I train athletes for a living where have u seen. 300 us lb linebackers my cowboys could use them

I've rented apartments in both NC and Virginia. Both being second floor apartments. On each lease that I had signed, there WAS a claus stating that the biggest tank I could have was 20 gallons. I'm sure its not like that everywhere, but in my case it was. You just never know. All I was saying is that just doing it without asking could be potentially devastating in several ways. First, being finding out the hard way that it can't be supported. Second being, you want to be on good terms with your landlord. I agree with the statement that 10 people for a photograph is only for a few minutes. A tank sits there 24/7. You just have to be careful when it comes to rental agreements.

Schism said:
No clause on any lease ive ever signed saying NO fish tank.

That's not what I said.

christine2012 said:
I've rented apartments in both NC and Virginia. Both being second floor apartments. On each lease that I had signed, there WAS a claus stating that the biggest tank I could have was 20 gallons. I'm sure its not like that everywhere, but in my case it was. You just never know. All I was saying is that just doing it without asking could be potentially devastating in several ways. First, being finding out the hard way that it can't be supported. Second being, you want to be on good terms with your landlord. I agree with the statement that 10 people for a photograph is only for a few minutes. A tank sits there 24/7. You just have to be careful when it comes to rental agreements.

That's not what I said.

I was not directly quoting you. Just going off my own experience with renting 10+ apartments over the years. I live in Ohio, personally ive never seen that clause in any of my leases, however im sure they do exist. Ive never had a land lord that cared much either. Biggest thing i worry about when it comes to fish tanks and apartments is carpet. I avoid placing a tank in a carpeted room where im renting. Saltwater will do a number on carpet in a short time. Not to mention the deep long lasting impression where the tank sat from the weight.

Schism said:
I was not directly quoting you. Just going off my own experience with renting 10+ apartments over the years. I live in Ohio, personally ive never seen that clause in any of my leases, however im sure they do exist. Ive never had a land lord that cared much either. Biggest thing i worry about when it comes to fish tanks and apartments is carpet. I avoid placing a tank in a carpeted room where im renting. Saltwater will do a number on carpet in a short time. Not to mention the deep long lasting impression where the tank sat from the weight.

True, I'm curious, what is the difference with saltwater being on carpet?

christine2012 said:
True, I'm curious, what is the difference with saltwater being on carpet?

Ive left a few nasty stains from various spills of skimmer and some products. saltwater does a number on carpet if there is a water spill. In a large scale spill of course pulling up the carpet is neede to dry it. However when you dry it, your left with a goopy somewhat sticky salt residue saturated in the carpet, meaning its pretty much junk. Also if the carpet needs replaced meaning you need to move the tank off the carpet. Extreme pain, especially with saltwater to move a tank. Thankfully this only happened once to me and i vowed never again carpet lol

Back
Top Bottom