Apastasia questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a odd question here . I would like to seed my currently cycling tank for two reasons one coraline algae and two to give it a boost since I went with all base rock.My established tank has Apastasia real bad.I left my fishes clam shell in their and I have a lot of purple on there but no Apastasia. Can the shell possibly infest my new tank even though I can see any? Also same kind of question if I put my biowheel from my current tank in my sump could that transfer it as well? thanks

Im not sure but I think you could transfer it. If any piece of aiptasia is broken off (can be very tiny) there is a chance it will turn into its own and then spread.

Thanks for the reply. I found some on cheato I got my my Lfs. So I'm keeping a very watchful eye on the dt for the next few days.I really hope it doesnt spread.

I'm a huge fan of apitasia x . It took about 6 months of zapping all the new ones I found but I'm now aphasia free for almost a month now

just kill them as you see them like reefanman did. don't let them get out of hand and you'll be fine. aptasia spores could be on anything- coralline scrapings, your next frag, etc.
are you switching tanks because of the aptasia?

No not switching because of it. I'm going from a 75 to a 180 gallon. The 75 gallon got out of hand when I moved house and the Apastasia spread like a wild fire.

ahh. still, i'd take my time and kill the aptasia and eventually use the rock. perhaps in the sump or even the display once you are sure you got a handle on them.

I was going to let it all dry out then use it as base rock. I have alot of smaller pieces that are perfect for the sump. But since you mention it maybe I will keep some alive in a bucket and kill them all off.

Back
Top Bottom