Apastatia and Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanchezkk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just noticed a small Apastatia in my 55 USA Gallon tank. I just bought a peppermint shrimp to combat this issue. Now he's a young critter. He is now in hiding, I guess he thinks I cannot see him but I do. How long should it take for him to feel comfortable in its surroundings and venture around more to find the Apastatia anemone? Also, I have a Dragonet that keeps getting near to the anemone. He seems to climb over everything everywhere and manage not to get stung by anything, ever! Please advise.

My peps always hunted at night. I never once saw the shrimp eat the anemone but one morning it was all gone.
That being said, remember that not all peppermint shrimp will eat aiptasia. It's hit or miss. From what I hear on forums, it's roughly 50/50.
As for the dragonet, they have very thick slime coats that appear to offer some protection against stings. It seems likely that only excessive or very potent stings would have any affect.

I just called my lfs and they said before I purchase them they would throw in an Apastatia into the tank so I can see thar they are conditioned to attack Apastatia.

I bought 3 of them and the aptasia was gone the next day. My lfs said getting more Han one definitely raises your odds.

Now I've added the peppermint shrimp last week but they've not found the anemone as of yet. I have a blue green chromis and I think he's frightening them into hiding.

Now I've added the peppermint shrimp last week but they've not found the anemone as of yet. I have a blue green chromis and I think he's frightening them into hiding.

Some peppermints will some wont

Could it be that they haven't found it yet?

Very well could be cut back feeding maybe then theyll have to resort to natural resources there is an aptaisa eating nudibranch called berghia ( may be spelled wrong)

My peps havnt found a little one on the front of my tank. But have demolished every other one! They did work in my tank. So glad I got them

Either they will or they won't. There's no guarantee with most biological controls. But it's unlikely they're afraid of fish. They're cleaners in the wild.

I think my valentine puffer has eaten the last of mine if you are still having problems

I just go my live rock yesterday and iv found 3-4 of aptasia already I want to get some peps but my tank hasn't cycled yet should I wait for it to cycle or get them now?

Very top left corner is what I think the aptasia is I'm not sure that's what it is but that's what I think

Attachments

• image-4152803655.jpg
    image-4152803655.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom