API Nitrate Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Few weeks ago ive had to remove a evil evil dotty back from my tank, Sadly it near pulled all the rock out of my tank. Ive been testing my water and my nitrates are well over the recommended, Like hitting the 160 mark. Ive tested it again and still no changes. So i starting to think it maybe a bad test kit, so I test my RODI water in the mixing bucket and its peaking around 40ppm... The RODI filter is probly around 7 Months old... Could a mixing bucket hold Nitrates? No fish or coral are showing any signs of stress, Gonna do another 15g water change tonight, and another tomorrow before I go to the LFS. Anyone got any tips?

Last I checked Ammonia was 0 and Nitrite was 0 and that was last week incase were wondering.

The tanks is a 55g with a 25g Refugium booming with live plants.

Stock list

1x Coral Beauty angel
2x Clownfish
1 Banggii Cardinal fish
1 yellow watchmen goby
1 Fork tail blenny
1 Two Spot hogfish.
1 Sixline wrasse

Last edited by a moderator:
Take some to your LFS for testing. Also, check the expiration date on the test kit.

Yeah Im gonna take a sample of my Tank water, and RODI Water with me. As far as the test kit they dont expire till 2017. Im going bonkers over this **** nitrate.

What do your sediment filter and DI resin look like? If they're pretty bleak looking (dark brown), it's time to change them out.

So After a 15g Water change and 3 Tests Later, 2 on the tank and one of the RODI Water Ive come to a conclusion... ****API Nitrate Test kits... Just saying. My RODI Water is coming out around 20-40PPM, and my Tank water Is around the same... After the Second tank water test, I took notice to the water level in the vial. What do you know! Loss of water via POS Caps API Uses. Is this the case? I dont know... Im cutting Ties with API, I might switch over to Red Sea. Im Currently using there Reef Foundation Kit, KH, Calcium, and Magnesium. I like the Feel of the test kit better. Ive used Hagen Master Test kit before when I Had my 20G Long Few years ago, IMO same junky style tubes. If the lid don't screw on then I don't want it.

Now that rant it out, I figure the test kit was made 11/12 So 11 months old to start... Maybe expired maybe not. I like the feel of Red Sea, and im hurting for a Phosphate test kit anyway. So I figure ill go with Red sea algae control test kit, being Nitrate and Phosphate.

I do plan to replace my RO Unit within the next few months and ordering a new test kit today. I hope I dont have more darn problems!

Actually, I sell replacement caps for the API test tubes (search for my username in the classified forum).

Yes, the caps suck, and the stoppers I sell prevent leakage.

Thanks for the help, Ive just decided to order a new test kit anyway, Im still going to use API kit for Ammonia, PH, and Nitrite for now.

I'd be interested in your impression of the RedSea kit. I use the API kit with no issues, though have found that at low nitrAte levels, it's tough to read. My 'trAtes are <5ppm so I'm not too worried about the exact number, but I'm always game for a better kit.

I just got a Red Sea Nitrate kit. I have only used it twice, but so far, I like it. The screw-on caps make more sense and the color seems easier to figure out. I compared it to my API and both came out with the same reading. I plan to replace the API stuff as it gets too old. I rarely test for anything other that nitrates though.

First I wish to apologize for my foul language.

I honestly like red sea test kit, for KH, CA, and MG. Very easy to test and honestly Im not sure how accurate they are, the only way to tell really would be a hanna checker. Testing against other test kits I dont think youll get it spot on. In the review someone did match the phosphate test kit against a hanna checker and said it was only off by .02 which isnt bad for phosphate id say. With a Reef Foundation they give you syringes for dropping the regiment in. So you dont have to count how many drops you put in. You just match the amount of regiment used and match to the card. Its not the cheapest on the market, but the refills are pretty darn cheap, so you dont have to replace the whole test kit if you test one thing more then the other.

But really what sold me on it was the way you match the colors up, you dont have to look at a tube laying in front of a white paper. You get a nice holder that you looks at a clean sample and the test sample at the same time, I feel it would be easier to match them side by side instead of a color chart and trying to match the colors.

Ill give you a review if a few weeks on how I feel about it after using it. Im hope it will be here by Friday if not probly Tuesday at the latest.

After a few testings ive found that I cant blame the API Test kit, My nitrates are just that dang high, I did get my No3 PO4 Test kit the other day. Heres a little review.

The kit like all red sea pro test kits comes with a nice case for the items needed, cost is a little on the high end side but worth the money. By far the easiest test kit ive ever read. I like the color wheel you get to match both samples. It is a easy test kit to use, some with nicely made equipment. My favorite part of the test kit would be how the test range is, by that mean it test in ranges of 0.00 -1.00. You get more of a exact number and not somewhere in between 20ppm and 40ppm. You can test up to 65ppm by diluting the test sample w/ RO water, so your not getting such a low range but also a mid range also.

Worth the money? Yes Id say so. On a decent note my Phosphates are at .04ppm with I was not expecting. I tossed a 100ml bag of Purgen to help get the nitrates down some, fingers crossed. Anyone got anymore nitrate removal tips?

Back
Top Bottom