Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

API Nitrate Test Kit

Few weeks ago ive had to remove a evil evil dotty back from my tank, Sadly it near pulled all the rock out of my tank. Ive been testing my water and my nitrates are well over the recommended, Like hitting the 160 mark. Ive tested it again and still no changes. So i starting to think it maybe a bad test kit, so I test my RODI water in the mixing bucket and its peaking around 40ppm... The RODI filter is probly around 7 Months old... Could a mixing bucket hold Nitrates? No fish or coral are showing any signs of stress, Gonna do another 15g water change tonight, and another tomorrow before I go to the LFS. Anyone got any tips?

Last I checked Ammonia was 0 and Nitrite was 0 and that was last week incase were wondering.

The tanks is a 55g with a 25g Refugium booming with live plants.

Stock list

1x Coral Beauty angel
2x Clownfish
1 Banggii Cardinal fish
1 yellow watchmen goby
1 Fork tail blenny
1 Two Spot hogfish.
1 Sixline wrasse

Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take some to your LFS for testing. Also, check the expiration date on the test kit.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah Im gonna take a sample of my Tank water, and RODI Water with me. As far as the test kit they dont expire till 2017. Im going bonkers over this **** nitrate.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do your sediment filter and DI resin look like? If they're pretty bleak looking (dark brown), it's time to change them out.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

So After a 15g Water change and 3 Tests Later, 2 on the tank and one of the RODI Water Ive come to a conclusion... ****API Nitrate Test kits... Just saying. My RODI Water is coming out around 20-40PPM, and my Tank water Is around the same... After the Second tank water test, I took notice to the water level in the vial. What do you know! Loss of water via POS Caps API Uses. Is this the case? I dont know... Im cutting Ties with API, I might switch over to Red Sea. Im Currently using there Reef Foundation Kit, KH, Calcium, and Magnesium. I like the Feel of the test kit better. Ive used Hagen Master Test kit before when I Had my 20G Long Few years ago, IMO same junky style tubes. If the lid don't screw on then I don't want it.

Now that rant it out, I figure the test kit was made 11/12 So 11 months old to start... Maybe expired maybe not. I like the feel of Red Sea, and im hurting for a Phosphate test kit anyway. So I figure ill go with Red sea algae control test kit, being Nitrate and Phosphate.

I do plan to replace my RO Unit within the next few months and ordering a new test kit today. I hope I dont have more darn problems!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, I sell replacement caps for the API test tubes (search for my username in the classified forum).

Yes, the caps suck, and the stoppers I sell prevent leakage.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the help, Ive just decided to order a new test kit anyway, Im still going to use API kit for Ammonia, PH, and Nitrite for now.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd be interested in your impression of the RedSea kit. I use the API kit with no issues, though have found that at low nitrAte levels, it's tough to read. My 'trAtes are <5ppm so I'm not too worried about the exact number, but I'm always game for a better kit.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might also want to read this:
A test of Nitrate Test Kits - Reef Central Online Community
Old 10-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just got a Red Sea Nitrate kit. I have only used it twice, but so far, I like it. The screw-on caps make more sense and the color seems easier to figure out. I compared it to my API and both came out with the same reading. I plan to replace the API stuff as it gets too old. I rarely test for anything other that nitrates though.

Tags
api, ate, nitrate, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com