Api saltwater test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisshboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had any experience with the saltwater test kit made by api? My ammonia reading seemed to be going up and down so i did 4 back to back from the same water and got 4 result from 0-8ppm which one will be correct? I will attach a picture of the 4 test vials thanks

Attachments

• image-4180022533.jpg
    image-4180022533.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 94
What's the coloured stuff around the top for just curious I use api too and find it to be pretty good just as long as it all is done right

Whoa those are wildly different. I've been using the API master and reef kits and they have been accurate. I have heard, however, that the API tests can sometimes be inacurate. It would appear you have a "bad batch".

4 results that are that different from the same water sample cannot be attributed to dosers, meds or cycling. The only other possibility is contamination of the sample in between tests.

I don't use api anymore for that reason, I find that they are not very accurate. Try salifert or red sea pro their more expensive but I find their accurate and worth the money.

I notice the level of water on the 3 right vials are not consistent. That explains different readings. I don't know about the one on the left most.

I dipped the 4 tubes into the tank water all at the same time so its the exact same water in each then put the ammonia test in all 4 at the same time thats why i don't understand why i got 4 results, all the tubes got washed in warm water thoroughly before i did the test too.

The colored tape around the top is so i know which test tube goes with which test to stop cross contamination of chemicals i just used all 4 for ammonia on this one occasion to see what happened

Yes I know you dip them at the same water but they are not exactly at 5ml volume. The vial has an indicator line and the water should be on that level before your test.

I dip them then use a syringe to remove water to the line, the one on the far right is a little lower because they leak a bit when shaken

If they leak, you'll never get accurate readings. Buy a new one when you get a chance. I have the API kit and no issues like that at all.

You may want to check the expiry date as well-- I had some issues with my API test kit, and it turned out to be outdated...

I dip them then use a syringe to remove water to the line, the one on the far right is a little lower because they leak a bit when shaken

Yes the API caps leave a lot to be desired! A member here (Dmolavi) is able to source good quality STOPPERS for the API test tubes. I ordered a bunch through him and swear by them. No leaks means no more chemicals on my fingers :)

Yeah iv checked there in date all the tests still are in date and as far the stoppers iv started just using my finger to cap it while i shake it then putting he cap on after and washing my hands straight away while im waiting for the colour to develop

Yeah iv checked there in date all the tests still are in date and as far the stoppers iv started just using my finger to cap it while i shake it then putting he cap on after and washing my hands straight away while im waiting for the colour to develop
That explains your test result. Your finger has ammonia lol kd

I would just buy more reliable test kits like Red Sea Pro, Salifert. I stopped using API years ago because of inaccuracy just like you are experiencing

Back
Top Bottom