API vs Salifert calcium test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
everything is doing great first of all

what is considered high for calcium?

just got new sulphert kit for cal
after x2 I get a reading of 200

now with the API I get a reading of 660

I'm lost which one do I believe?

nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 0 ppm
ammonia 0 ppm
ph 8.2 ppm
phos 2.0 ppm
kh/alk N/A
temp 81*
salinity 1.025

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm.... Tough one. All seriousness, split the difference and call it good. Everything is doing well? Then I'd say retest in the morning and see what you come up with.

I've always had different results with different test kits, I just go by how things look, grow and so on and so on. Good idea? Maybe not but its been over a year now and I have no issues to report.

I do test regularly just saying when I get conflicting results I go with my gut.

Hope this helped out a little. I'm sure your fine. Oh and just to add, I dose 8mL of B-ionic 2 part every night... But I think you knew that already lol.

also forgot to mention I changed from I O reef crystals to kent marine reef salt

That could be it right there. Did you change right over or slowly? I've read a few times that a good way to switch over is to slowly add the new salt to the old and over weeks time switch fully to the new salt.

Just thinking out loud. Hopefully I'm steering my think truck in the right area.

everything is doing great first of all

what is considered high for calcium?

just got new sulphert kit for cal
after x2 I get a reading of 200

now with the API I get a reading of 660

I'm lost which one do I believe?

nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 0 ppm
ammonia 0 ppm
ph 8.2 ppm
phos 2.0 ppm
kh/alk N/A
temp 81*
salinity 1.025

Salifert is generally better imo did you do the 2 drops or 4 drops its both ways in the instructions if you did the 2 drops you need multiply results by 2

I did the 4 x2

the 2 is x4

either way with both kits the swing is too big IMO

sulfert 200

API 660

I did the 4 x2

the 2 is x4

either way with both kits the swing is too big IMO

sulfert 200

API 660

Ya thats a huge difference one test has to be bad
Or both idk good luck hope you figure it out

I would bring a sample to a local store an have them test it. Only you know if your doing the test correctly and if so then the only way to conclude which one is right would be to compare with a third kit.

I would bring a sample to a local store an have them test it. Only you know if your doing the test correctly and if so then the only way to conclude which one is right would be to compare with a third kit.

Hopefully its right in the middle :)

Either the Salifert test kit is bad or you did the test wrong. It's virtually impossible for calcium to be that low at 200 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom