apitasia question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jduny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok i have aptasia growing out of a small rock that also holds some zoas' off a frag i purchased 2 months ago.the last time i saw one i used boiling water in a childrens motrin dosing syringe to take care of it.with this one being so close to the zoas' how do i get it outta there.thanx in advance for all advice

I've used either Joe's Juice or inject it with white vinegar by using a syringe. Joe's Juice advertises itself as "reef safe" so I would think (assume) that it wouldn't hurt the zoas if it got on any of them.

It WILL hurt any life it touches. It is reef safe as it is just a high? pH substance. The chemical will diffuse and not change the pH much however.

I had aptasia on some of my live rock. Bought a peppermint shrimp and the aptasia was gone the next morning.

Peppermint shrimp is hit or miss. I know someone with 2 different tanks one the peppermint wiped out the aptasia in the other one they don't even look at it. You can also use lemon juice, I went to the LPS and got a syringe and got a little packet of lemon juice and injected them with that it works fast and is a lot cheaper than joes juice. I don't know how it work around your zoas.

ok so i hit the apitasia with some hot h2o.i may have killed 2 polyps.but most of the frag looks o.k.hopefully that should take care of it

I just bought something called Aiptasia X today from a store that specializes in Corals. I have just a tiny piece that I treated tonight. He retracted when I got the syringe near him. Hopefully, just squirting this junk on him works.

Has anyone heard of the Aiptasia X?

Yes I have it is easy to use and does a good job on the aptasia.

Peppermint shrimp work great until they run out of aiptasia. Mine ate all aiptasia in days. Then a few months later he went crazy and ate a plate coral and an oyster.

"Has anyone heard of the Aiptasia X?" I use it also and the best way is to feed it to the aip slowly and let it eat it and sit back and watch it implode.
OH, reefing is so much fun....................lol

Hi JR, about a year ago I was messing around in my sump and that proved to be a big mistake. It stirred up a pile of aiptasia that then flowed into my DT. Big Pain, but I learned to just not panick and just remove the larger ones that get in the way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom