Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Approved hardware set up with new refugium, need opinions!

Okay As I have mentioned earlier I have a 45G all tank, and have built a 29 gallon refugium. I am not sure exactly what flow rate is suggested witha refugium system in mind, but I figured a turn over of 7 times per hour (a mag drive 7 with 5.5 feet head = about 450 GPH... divided by about 60G of true water gives me about 7 times turnover) would be good as is not too fast for the plants to pick up junk in the water. So yeah I was thinking a mag drive 7 for the return pump and use my useless Rio 1400 for the skimmer.
I can make an overflow box out of acrylic... but for a 45G tank with a 29G refugium, what dimensions should the overflow box be? Any suggestions I should take into account for the design of the overflow box? Thanks!

Old 01-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone? I need to draw out the plans tonight to give to my dad tomorrow to cut out the pieces.. also what would limit the flushing noise ??

Old 01-02-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay last try... then I'll give up and just go with the 9.5 Mag for the return and the Rio 1400 for the skimmer pump :P
Old 01-02-2004, 09:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

LOL. I think the 9.5 would be way too powerful for a fuge. I'd go with your Mag 7, or perhaps even a Mag 5. You don't want it to go through too fast, as it'll disturb the plants. As far as the overflow box, the thinner and longer the actual overflow portion is, the more surface water it skims, and the more DOCs it catches. As for the side outside the tank, whatever size can accomodate your PVC pipes. So if you're going with 1" pipe, make enough room for those, and I'd recommend a little more room around the bulkhead for cleaning/comfort. It really is up to you as far as the area exposed to the water...but (looking at the tank from the front) the greater size the overflow is from left to right, the better than it would be a square, and better than it would be front to back. HTH, if you need, ask more questions...I'm moving my little African Cichlids upstairs, and they're lookin' at me like I'm insane. Who's to argue with 'em!
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware, refugium, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com