Aptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtisle506

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a wall of rock, as i looked through one of the holes in the rock formation i noticed a HUGE aptasia, i cant really get to it, i could try. Its behind my rock nowhere near any coral, what should i do, should i be concerned?

You could go the natural way trying peppermint shrimp or even some filefish.

The issue with removing it manually is that they can still propagate if any is left over.

I cant get to it though and its a tight squeeze, i am afraid that if i hit it or not completly kill it, it might spread, mabye buying some peppermint shrimp tomorrow at the lfs might work?

What about a copperband, but ive heard they might eat my rose bta?

All those solutions won't work usually they only eat the tiny aiptasia. Using aiptasia x the needle should be able to reach in the smaller spaces.

All those solutions won't work usually they only eat the tiny aiptasia. Using aiptasia x the needle should be able to reach in the smaller spaces.

Aptasia x works. I've had great success with peppermint shrimp personally but have heard stories that they won't. If you're ok with chemicals in your tank you should probably go with aptasia x

I have read that peppermint shrimp have and have not touched the aptasia. The best bet is to boil lemon juice and squirt it on the aptasia. Or you can use aptaisa x like erik said above. I know it's hard to get to, maybe you can make-shift some sort of device using a flexible needle or coral feeder type of syringe.

Last edited:
I have read that peppermint shrimp have and have not touched the aptasia. The best bet is to boil lemon juice and squirt it on the aptasia. Or you can use aptaisa x like erik said above. I know it's hard to get to, maybe you can make-shift some sort of device using a flexible needle or coral feeder type of syringe.

The problem with that is there are horror stories of people dying from chemicals being released after boiling water touched certain bacteria. At least that's what my lfs said to me a while back. It's rare but for me it's not worth the chance

I never heard of that, but I would not risk it either than. Myths myths lol. I would stick with joe's juice or aptasia - x . Gladly at this time, I have not had the issue but I would run straight to that from all the good things i've heard.

I use aptasia x on all aptasia that i see my problem is its behind my wall structure and cant reach it unless i disconnected plumbing which could be bad ,also, i dont want to knock over my rockwork

Kalk paste in a syringe. Mix a thick slurry of kalk(lime) and inject/cover the aiptasia. It's very effective, cheap and doesn't introduce anything unwanted into your tank.

i had about 15 aiptasia on my tank. A couple bigger than any of the 6 peppermint shrimp I got. I put them in the tank and didn't feed them for two days. After the second day i only had the two bigger aiptasia "hanging" around. They look like they've been picked on but were still there. All the others were gone. Two days after that everything was gone. It's been two weeks now and no sign of aiptasia. Do your research and get the "real" peppermint shrimp. It worked for me !!

My lfs has a tank devoted to aptasia eating peppermints, they have a tank in the back infested with aptasia, they pluck them and throw them in the peppermint tanks, im thinking about getting 2-3

I never heard of that, but I would not risk it either than. Myths myths lol. I would stick with joe's juice or aptasia - x . Gladly at this time, I have not had the issue but I would run straight to that from all the good things i've heard.

Yeah haha. I wasn't trying to call you out. My lfs freaked at me when I told them I was hitting my aptasia with boiling water. Regardless if its true or not ill never do it again lol

Ive heard people say its hard to find so If you have trouble finding aptasia x my lfs stocks it. Send me a pm if you need to work something out

I picked up one large and one small peppermint at the lfs, hopefully it works

i got a normal size peppermint, same as all the others in the tank, been 2 weeks and he hasnt touched a small or big aiptasia, im hoping he can at least stop them from spreading..le sigh

Well, all aptasia in my tank are gone as of today, bit a single trace, even the ones that were tiny in the front gone, im actually hoping for more to pop up so the shrimp dont die and have food

Back
Top Bottom