Aptasia eradication

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMPD109

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Getting ready to start getting rid of aptasia before it gets out of hand. I have read that Joes juice is the best. I have also heard of a couple of home recipes. Has anyone had any luck with any of these. My concern is the affects on pH.

1)Joes Juice(my LFS said it will bring pH down)
2)white distilled vineger(I know this will bring down pH since it is an acid)
3)1 tsp. pickling lime(food grade calcium hydroxide) and 2 tbls tap water

Any help appreciated as always

I used a peppermint shrimp once and it worked. It's a 50/50 chance that a peppermint shrimp will eat aiptasia. I haven't tried the other methods you've mentioned.

I had 2 large aptasias in my tank in 5 or 6 very small ones. The first one I took out manually. I pulled the rock, used blazing hot water on it and dug that baby out of his hole, rinsed it off and put it back in the tank. There was (obviously) some die off on the rock from the scalding, but it is growing back just fine.

The others I left to the tactics of a peppermint shrimp. He made short work of the little ones and must have taken his time snacking on the bigger one as it took a week or so to disappear completely, but every day it was noticably smaller.

I say get the shrimp! I've also heard that you can inject kalk into them.

Good luck!

I've used Joes Juice for quite a while and have never had a problem with it bringing pH down. I went to a friends house the other day and killed probably 100 aips in a 30g tank. Water parameters were normal when I left. If you have a big aip problem, I would go with a combination of peppermint shrimp and Joes Juice. Aips aren't the terrible problem some folks make them out to be. As long as you keep their population under control and kill off any that get too close to your corals, they really aren't a problem...JMHO.

I only have about 10 I can see. Just don't want to let it get out of hand and make it a big hassle later. I figure start now and keeping up wont be so hard. The tank is the concern so I want the best antidote without side effects.

Back
Top Bottom