Aptasia moving or dined on by peps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've never heard of it, but does aptasia move itself about like some other, larger, anemones?

I noticed a small aptasia on a rock of zoas that I recently purchased and luckily found a LFS that had peppermint shrimp and got three. This morning the aptasia is gone.

Either it was munched on last night by the peps, or it decided to migrate elsewhere in the tank (to somewhere that I can't see).

Has anyone had aptasia relocate themselves?

Geez, the thing was about a centimeter long. I didn't think that they would have finished it off so quickly.

I noticed the aptasia on the rock with the zoas after putting them into the tank. The zoas started to open again and then I saw the aptasia as well. I guess it sucked itself into the rock at first.

The LFS had some peps, and I didn't have any shrimp in the tank (other than the tiger pistol that hangs out with the watchman goby) so I thought I would try them out. Seems like I was lucky with the peps.

Thought I would ask as I wasn't sure that aptasia would move about like otheer anemones or not.

Ok, if they do move I'll have to keep my eyes out for them in the tank. I wasn't sure if they could, or could not, move about like other anemone

This one wasn't too big. It was about 1cm with the tentacles stretched out. Probably less than that. It was about the same length as one of the zoas on the rock, when they stretch out.

Guess if I compared it to the peppermint shrimp.....it would have been about a third of the size of the shrimp (again, when fully stretched out).

I haven't seen the aptasia since....and I'm looking.

I've seen one or two tiny (tiny as in about 2mm tall) pieces of aiptasia but by morning it's gone. I don't think that they are all relocating themselves. Pretty sure that the peps are having a late night snack.

Did notice one majano on a rock.....so I carefully relocated another small piece of LR over top of it. Figure I would starve it out.

I'll have to get a picture and put it in the ID forum, but I've got a clear-ish anemone on a rock that comes out at night but hides down in the rock when the lights are on. It doesn't look like aiptasia, and the whole nocturnal thing is a bit odd too.

The shrimp eat them in a matter of minutes. When they find one they go at it.

what i find out that i brought 6 pepermint shrimp cause i had 4 aptisa growing and it kept moving with after 2 weeks peppermint shrimp sorted my problem out for me which i was happy with

Back
Top Bottom