Aptasia on rock w sun coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfighter

Aquarium Advice Activist
THe rock isn't big so I'm thinking about ditching it all together and my sun coral is pretty much just a frag. I want to save the coral so how do I move it?

If you can just take the rock out and hit the aiptasia with a small torch being careful not to get the coral. Or you could place the rock beside another small rock on the sand bed and put another small piece of ruble or shell against the aiptasia to irritate it into moving and with luck it will move onto the other rock allowing you remove it and kill it.

I would just inject it with hot, fresh-squeezed lemon juice or Aptasia x. Or, my favorite, get 2 Peppermint shrimp, if your stocking allows. I put two in a 135g, and they worked great for me.

I had no luck with my peppermint, also had no luck with aiptasia-x they just kept coming back like some sort of aquatic zombie.

kdpuffer said:
I had no luck with my peppermint, also had no luck with aiptasia-x they just kept coming back like some sort of aquatic zombie.

That's a drag, the shrimp are by far the easiest method!

I was hoping for luck there but no dice, haven't fed the tank in a month and it still hasn't touched it. Fish are not in the tank by the way I am not starving them.

kdpuffer said:
I was hoping for luck there but no dice, haven't fed the tank in a month and it still hasn't touched it. Fish are not in the tank by the way I am not starving them.

I think it has to do with where the shrimp are collected, as to if it will eat Aptasia or not. Most of the people I've talked to here, on the gulf coast of Florida, have had good luck with them. These I'm almost positive, are collected in the gulf. Just a thought though...
Maybe try the hot, fresh-squeezed lemon juice injection method. I've never tried it, but I've read it works.

I just want to move the coral. Forget about the aptasia, I know there a pain so can anyone just tell me how to move the coral please?

If you can see where the coral starts and rock stops, you can just pry it off with a flathead screwdriver. But be careful, Sun corals have a skeleton that looks like rock, with holes on it, where each polyp head comes out. It's possible that the whole piece, is the coral.
Could you post a pic, so we could see what your dealing with?

Hey Fishfighter,
If you just want to get the coral away from the Aptasia, you could pull the rock out and with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer, split the rock in half. Just try to make sure it won't fracture underneath the coral, do it as far enough away from the coral as you can.
On another note, if that's a Sun coral ( Tubastrea), it's the strangest one I've ever seen. No offense intended, but I think it was mis-labeled at the store. That looks like a deflated Carnation Tree coral. These are often called something else because they are considered to be an expert only coral, and most people won't buy them, if they know this. Most Carnations are nonphotosynthetic, if not all, and require feeding with foods designed for filter feeding inverts. Like live phytoplankton, and similar foods. They require low light and med-high flow.
Here's a pic of my Tubastrea, just for reference. Does yours look like this at night? Lights out is usually when they will open to feed, as they are NPS, as well. Although you can train them to feed on your schedule.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't believe that's a Sun coral.

View attachment 106534

Sun coral ( Tubastrea )

Was never too sure it was a sun coral. Yes it does come out at night but doesn't quit look like yours. It just gets fuzzy as opposed to smooth durring the day that's why I thought sun coral. I like your Idea about splitting the rock. Will it not bother the coral to be out of water for a short time? Also, only reason that Rock is in my tank is because of the coral that's on it. This is only one of two rocks in my tank that are bulky and non porous. Doesn't really fit in.

image-2996684370.jpg

I would much rather transport the coral. It's either this or split the rock. If I transport, how do I make it stay where I want it?

Fishfighter said:
I would much rather transport the coral. It's either this or split the rock. If I transport, how do I make it stay where I want it?

It won't effect the coral to be out of the water for a few minutes. I think it would be pretty hard -nearly impossible to remove that type of coral from its base rock, they root down really well and I think it would probably end up getting injured if you tried. I believe your best bet would be to try to split the rock. Although, this will be challenging too, if the rock is very dense.
If you manage to split it, then the coral is already attached to a base, and no worse off. Like I stated before, these are a very difficult coral to keep alive, and you will need any help you can get. Irritating it any more than necessary will not help you out.
Hammer and chisel, or kill off the Aptasia, would be my suggestion.
Peppermint shrimp are like $8 apiece, and by far the easiest way to rid a tank of Aptasia, if your other stock will allow for shrimp.

Fishfighter said:
Lionfish and six line wrasse would tear them to pieces.

Gotcha! :). Expensive for Lionfish food.... Could always try the hot fresh-squeezed lemon juice lethal injection! Have heard it works every bit as good as the Aptasia x product.

Back
Top Bottom