Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2410238215.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	106527

Best one I have for now. Not home at the moment

Old 07-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Fishfighter,
If you just want to get the coral away from the Aptasia, you could pull the rock out and with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer, split the rock in half. Just try to make sure it won't fracture underneath the coral, do it as far enough away from the coral as you can.
On another note, if that's a Sun coral ( Tubastrea), it's the strangest one I've ever seen. No offense intended, but I think it was mis-labeled at the store. That looks like a deflated Carnation Tree coral. These are often called something else because they are considered to be an expert only coral, and most people won't buy them, if they know this. Most Carnations are nonphotosynthetic, if not all, and require feeding with foods designed for filter feeding inverts. Like live phytoplankton, and similar foods. They require low light and med-high flow.
Here's a pic of my Tubastrea, just for reference. Does yours look like this at night? Lights out is usually when they will open to feed, as they are NPS, as well. Although you can train them to feed on your schedule.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't believe that's a Sun coral.

Attachment 106534

Sun coral ( Tubastrea )

Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Was never too sure it was a sun coral. Yes it does come out at night but doesn't quit look like yours. It just gets fuzzy as opposed to smooth durring the day that's why I thought sun coral. I like your Idea about splitting the rock. Will it not bother the coral to be out of water for a short time? Also, only reason that Rock is in my tank is because of the coral that's on it. This is only one of two rocks in my tank that are bulky and non porous. Doesn't really fit in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2996684370.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	106539
Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would much rather transport the coral. It's either this or split the rock. If I transport, how do I make it stay where I want it?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfighter
I would much rather transport the coral. It's either this or split the rock. If I transport, how do I make it stay where I want it?
It won't effect the coral to be out of the water for a few minutes. I think it would be pretty hard -nearly impossible to remove that type of coral from its base rock, they root down really well and I think it would probably end up getting injured if you tried. I believe your best bet would be to try to split the rock. Although, this will be challenging too, if the rock is very dense.
If you manage to split it, then the coral is already attached to a base, and no worse off. Like I stated before, these are a very difficult coral to keep alive, and you will need any help you can get. Irritating it any more than necessary will not help you out.
Hammer and chisel, or kill off the Aptasia, would be my suggestion.
Peppermint shrimp are like $8 apiece, and by far the easiest way to rid a tank of Aptasia, if your other stock will allow for shrimp.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lionfish and six line wrasse would tear them to pieces.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfighter
Lionfish and six line wrasse would tear them to pieces.
Gotcha! . Expensive for Lionfish food.... Could always try the hot fresh-squeezed lemon juice lethal injection! Have heard it works every bit as good as the Aptasia x product.

Tags
aptasia, coral, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com