aptasia outbreak???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murcos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to upgrade my tank right now, and I found someone on craigslist that had one set up for sale. I was planning on taking his fish (they are moving and cannot take them) and selling most. I am keeping his tank and accessories, and his sand and live rock. But here is a problem. He has a flourish of aptasia all over. Probably 30 of them. He thought they were some sort of coral. And liked them. Can I save the live rock? Is there a way to get rid of the outbreak before I put it in my tank? Or should I buy all new stuff? And if I do, there are two corals on it...will I be able to get them off the rock?

ANy help would be great. I want to make my tank increase a good experience and not ruin my lovely tank I already have going.

Mary

You can fry them with a blow torch or inject them with a dose of Stop Aptasia. It's a special liquid that you inject into their mouth sort of like 'feeding' them. To prevent future outbreaks, get some Caribbean Peppermint Shrimp (and make sure they are Caribbean). They do great eating the little newbie nibs so they don't grow up and become a pest. Copperband butterflies are also a good aptasia eater, but not as hardy and takes up more space.

The stop aiptasia stuff (available from drfostersmith.com for a good price) works well.. killed off 4 that I've found in my new tank..
Works instantly..and non toxic to the reef..

I`ve heard others also talk about some stuff called Joe`s juice. and also heard about injecting with hot water. Never heard the blow torch plan though 8O

definatly sounds more fun (blowtorchin!) then being up to your armpit in the water with a syringe going after the little weeds which are hanging upside down in the most inaccessible place.

I had one I couldn't even see from the front, had to have someone telling me which way to move...total pita... (two sided tank)

Well make sure you get them all, because I had ONE aiptasia on a piece of LR I got from the LFS. I thought it wouldn't hurt the tank too much and I let it go for a couple of weeks. Well, low and behold it reproduced and I had about 20 in the tank. I got Joes Juice and nuked them all and it worked great. No more aiptasia (that I can see).

You can fry them with a blow torch
TCTfish what the ????
I do not have any aiptasia but that got my interest. I am going out to buy a blow torch and burn something. Grilled cheese anyone? (blow torch style) :lol:

Heh... I've used the blow torch on yellowjackets (REALLY nasty bees/wasps for those of you lucky enough to live outside their range) but never heard of it for aipstasia. :onfire:

However I HAVE used Joe's Juice, works great, just be sure it doesn't get stuck in the needle (you have to be sure to clean it when you're done or it turns into a brick). Got it at the LFS for oh, 6.50 I think. Well worth the bucks, there were a few aps I had to juice repeatedly, but after three times even the biggest of them was dead as a doornail.

Well hot water is free and I never had to apply it more than once. I have also heard several success stories with Joes juice. I almost wish I had some aiptasia so I could get the blow torch. :twisted:

no problem i can overnight some to you :wink:

but really is this a safe method of removing these things.(i dont know how to spell it but from the look of this topic not that many other pleople can either)
if it is im ready to do it. :rocket:

I used a standard turkey baster and Tank water. I got the water boiling and picked the pot up and carried it to the tank. Sucked it up in the baster and got right over the aiptasia and squirted them. I had none come back. They basically melted right then.

Fighting with boiling water

Ah, very cool.

That was my next question. eg;, should I wait til I need to top off or should I take water from tank and boil and then do battle.

I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks,

Gotta say.. in a hobby where it's key to keep things alive and thriving...
It's kinda fun to have something to go kill :twisted:

mybug: You could also use topoff water. I just got it out of the tank since it was easy. Trying to keep the water boiling is not a issue. I killed more after the water had set a while. Just get as close to them as possible when you "squirt". You will see them disintegrate instantly so you will know you are getting the job done. :wink: .

boil them suckers!

I had one aptasia currently in my main tank; have not yet dealt with the new live rock. You guys are great! I shot hom away with boiling water in a turkey baster, and it just disintegrated in a million pieces. Woohoo! I just hope they stay away. Is it possible for me to dunk the live rock that I am getting in boiling water and hope it all does the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom