Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Aptasia Problem

I have had aptasia for some time and kept it under control for the most past. Now its starting to spread in between my coral polps and such - and to the extent it appears they are sort of overwhelming the corals. I know people say peppermint shrimp do the job but most of these are good sized. I have tried using straight alkalinity buffer (liquid) and squirting it onto them directly and the mouth. No effect. I have heard Joes Juice does it as well but hear that its the same as using like the alkalinity liquid. Any sure way to rid these out of my tank?
Thanks

Old 11-17-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I used Joes Juice, and it worked wonders. If you are trying to get inbetween coral polyps, you would have to be careful trying any other methods, meaning staying as far away from the coral as possible. Those would include lemon juice, boiling water, and a lemon juice/kalk mix. Joes Juice is completely reef safe and rocks IMO.

HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I have tried the boiling water thing, alkalinity buffer, and peppermints. I think the peppermints do help but some of the ones I have in my tank are way to big for them to eat.
So when you use Joes, tell me how you do it? I was under the impression you simply squirted them with it? How do you get them to "eat it" as they dont linger when they sense something getting close to them? I have even let them retract and then blasted a shot of alkalinity in the hole and they are back the next day.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
I use the peppermints to take care of the young aptasia and let the larger ones get bigger. Then starve them until they are streched out looking for food. Then dose them with joes juice. Do it again 2 or 3 days later if they come back. I find the peppermints will overcome the aptasia. Now that reminds me I need a new peppermint or 2 for my 55 gal.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cant seem to keep peppermints alive. I have had 4 of them and all of them have died. However I have had a blood shrimp now for like 3 years as well as a cleaner and CBS too. Dont know why I cant keep peppermints alive.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Yeah, you might have to hover the syringe over the mouth for a while, but if you blast it when its out in the open and looking for food, it will work.

Ever since the hurricane happened, it seems peppermint shrimp are both way more expensive....and a lot more sensitive.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

My LFS had this new thing the other day and I got it. I have not had aptisia since I started my tank nine yrs ago. But I bought a coral about a month ago and finally had some aptisia appear. He sold me a syringe with no needle on it but it was full of paste that says 0.9% sodium chloride injection. I shot a ball of it in the mouth of the aptisia and within hours it was gone. I guess it is a salt paste but it sure worked. I think it was about 20.00 and I hardly used any. JME

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

We use Joe's Juice on all the aiptasia at the store, and it works great- although I'm not yet a saltie, I've squirted quite a few of them myself. They actually seem to like it until it starts to dissolve them LOL. Hover the syringe above the tentacles just far enough away that they don't retract, and then blast 'em. They'll disappear within 5 minutes.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Exactly! Joe's Juice is a treasure to me. I used them every now and then when I see them. Very effective for me. But don't know why it is not working for everyone.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I put 2 peppermints in my girlfriends 6g nano and it ate what seemed like 3 dozen or more over night. Good luck, I know these shrimp can take care of it and they will but you need enough of them per gallon to be effective. Might be very unpractical for some.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aptasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com