Aptasia Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had aptasia for some time and kept it under control for the most past. Now its starting to spread in between my coral polps and such - and to the extent it appears they are sort of overwhelming the corals. I know people say peppermint shrimp do the job but most of these are good sized. I have tried using straight alkalinity buffer (liquid) and squirting it onto them directly and the mouth. No effect. I have heard Joes Juice does it as well but hear that its the same as using like the alkalinity liquid. Any sure way to rid these out of my tank?
Thanks

I used Joes Juice, and it worked wonders. If you are trying to get inbetween coral polyps, you would have to be careful trying any other methods, meaning staying as far away from the coral as possible. Those would include lemon juice, boiling water, and a lemon juice/kalk mix. Joes Juice is completely reef safe and rocks IMO.

HTH

Well I have tried the boiling water thing, alkalinity buffer, and peppermints. I think the peppermints do help but some of the ones I have in my tank are way to big for them to eat.
So when you use Joes, tell me how you do it? I was under the impression you simply squirted them with it? How do you get them to "eat it" as they dont linger when they sense something getting close to them? I have even let them retract and then blasted a shot of alkalinity in the hole and they are back the next day.

I use the peppermints to take care of the young aptasia and let the larger ones get bigger. Then starve them until they are streched out looking for food. Then dose them with joes juice. Do it again 2 or 3 days later if they come back. I find the peppermints will overcome the aptasia. Now that reminds me I need a new peppermint or 2 for my 55 gal.

I cant seem to keep peppermints alive. I have had 4 of them and all of them have died. However I have had a blood shrimp now for like 3 years as well as a cleaner and CBS too. Dont know why I cant keep peppermints alive.

Yeah, you might have to hover the syringe over the mouth for a while, but if you blast it when its out in the open and looking for food, it will work.

Ever since the hurricane happened, it seems peppermint shrimp are both way more expensive....and a lot more sensitive.

My LFS had this new thing the other day and I got it. I have not had aptisia since I started my tank nine yrs ago. But I bought a coral about a month ago and finally had some aptisia appear. He sold me a syringe with no needle on it but it was full of paste that says 0.9% sodium chloride injection. I shot a ball of it in the mouth of the aptisia and within hours it was gone. I guess it is a salt paste but it sure worked. I think it was about 20.00 and I hardly used any. JME

We use Joe's Juice on all the aiptasia at the store, and it works great- although I'm not yet a saltie, I've squirted quite a few of them myself. They actually seem to like it until it starts to dissolve them LOL. Hover the syringe above the tentacles just far enough away that they don't retract, and then blast 'em. They'll disappear within 5 minutes.

Exactly! Joe's Juice is a treasure to me. I used them every now and then when I see them. Very effective for me. But don't know why it is not working for everyone.

I put 2 peppermints in my girlfriends 6g nano and it ate what seemed like 3 dozen or more over night. Good luck, I know these shrimp can take care of it and they will but you need enough of them per gallon to be effective. Might be very unpractical for some.

I prefer heated kalk or formalin injected into the stalk for aiptasia ridding.

I've fought aiptasia with peppermint shrimp,Joe's Juice,calcium carbonate,boiling water,etc.But nothing rid my tanks better and quicker than the addition of a racoon butterfly.

Back
Top Bottom