Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Aptastia popping up in inconvenient places:(

Probably 6 mos ago I bought live rock with a nice colony of yellow star polyps. After @ 2 days tiny little aptasia started popping up all over the live rock...... I used Kaulk over a period of weeks until I got rid of all of them..... I thought.... I hadn't seen any in months and all of a sudden they started popping up again. They are small but they are locating themselves right in the middle of my other corals, etc. Several are very close to the star polyps and one is right in the middle of a colony of eagle eye zoas. I hate to use the Kaulk so close, I know that, aptasia or whatever, the Kaulk will kill whatever it lands on. I tried boiling water but that didn't work..... I'm guessing it cooled off too much before I got them squirted.... and I did hurry..... Anyway, I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

weagle117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Aiptasia-X has done well for me. It is close to some of my symphodium and doesn't seem to have effected it. It closed up for awhile, but has opened back up with no signs of aiptasia at this time.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the advice. I had noticed that my yellow star polyps are not as plentiful as before & just assumed that the Kaulk (same as Aptasia X, I'm told) was burning some of them as it flaked off..... so, maybe not. Thanks again.
weagle117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
You may want to look into getting peppermint shrimp or Berghia Nudibranches (though they will die when aptasia is gone because that is all they eat).
ShaunV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
If the rock where the anemone is can be removed, use a lighter or cooking torch to burn it off. This works best imo\ime.
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com